Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2011 02:00

complete reinstall needed - dell inspiron, 1545

hi

i got a major virus, and eventually decided that i need to reinstall windows vista completely.

ive booted from the reinstallation dvd that came with the laptop, deleted the partition, formated, 'installed now'. it goes through all the phases until the last 'completing installation' stage, when it always sticks and does nothing.

the laptop is completely unusable as it is. and im pretty sure the dvd isnt for complete reinstallation anyway.

so i'm in a complete mess now and desperately need help

8 Posts

July 2nd, 2011 03:00

hi. thanks for the reply...

ive done the boot sequence thing before,

just checked - it now reads cd/dvd drive...internal hdd...usb storage devide...diskette drive...onboard nic

8 Posts

i think i might need a dss driver or something, but though i can download it onto my desktop, and save it to a USB, how to i get it to run on my laptop if the bloomin thing wont work?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

guypea,

Did you try the recovery partition? Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Restart your computer and press F2. Enter the BIOS. Look for boot sequence. Make it...

cd/dvd rom

HDD Hard drive

USB removable devices

network

Save changes and exit.

You can then try the disk. The procedire is...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

guypea,

Download the driver, using Internet Explorer and download the driver in your browser.

Try reading...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Rick

8 Posts

no you dont understand, my desktop is fine,. my laptop wont even run windows, so i cant get internet explorer or anything like that

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2011 16:00

guypea,

Download the drivers to the desktop, then put them on a flash drive or disk and then install them on the laptop, or...

Use the drivers disk that came with the computer.

Rick

8 Posts

July 3rd, 2011 02:00

there was no specific drivers disk that came with thte laptop. just this reinstallation one that goges through all the stages until the last one, then fails. i cant load up the drivers from the usb because windows wont start and i dunno how to do it through bios

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2011 13:00

guypea,

Sound like you installation went wrong. First try running the Dell Diagnostics and see if you get any error messages. Run the full diagnostics.

How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Rick

8 Posts

July 4th, 2011 01:00

got an error code 4400:011A

Msg: SCSI_0-000_DISK_GENERIC_MULTICARD target not ready. seems like i have a hardware problem? but how do i fix?

No Events found!