Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2008 09:00

computer using wrong windows key (found on chassis)

I have encountered several Dell computers with the wrong Windows (25 character) official key.

One stopped admitting users, and would login only briefly.  Another would not allow Windows update.

Now, I have encountered another two computers yesterday, so I would like to correct the registry

to use the correct key, before such problems begin. However, the standard techniques have not

worked for me.  I have had to remove the Windows folder and reinstall XP.  What else works?

-- avid0g

6.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 18:00

You need to look elsewhere for the problem if you are discussing Dell computers delivered with Windows pre-installed.  Dell uses a volume key to install the operating system which almost never matches the COA sticker affixed to the computer case.  Further, Dell supplied OEM Windows reinstallation disks are pre-activated on the Dell computers that are delivered with them, so no key is required for installation.  The only case in which a key should be necessary is for installation of a commercially purchased version of the operating system, and that key would be found with the package that enclosed the disk.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 00:00

I've had to type this post twice because of an IE error... Annoying...

Anyway..

To change your XP product key without reinstalling XP.

Download the following tool and it will do it, as long as you have the key with you.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Run the program and let it validate that you have the necessary files to run the tool, should only take a few seconds.

Then enter your 25 character Win XP product key and hit next. Follow the rest of the prompts and you should be set. I hope that is the solution to the problem you are having.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2009 22:00

Thank you, JackShack.  Can you say that I should be confidant that a single volume key was used for these factory-shipped Dell computers, that these three machines (sharing one key) may all safely connect to the Microsoft Update Site and receive updates without adverse results?  That would certainly ease my mind.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2009 22:00

Thank you, Amgdust.  I have loaded this on my USB drive.  I will wait for some appropriate situation to try it out.  But for now, it seems I don't have to frown when I find the key on a Dell chassis does not match the OS.   (Nor panic when several PCs share the same key.)

6.4K Posts

January 8th, 2009 06:00

My own computers have always been delivered with a Dell installed OS; Windows XP.  Not one of them have keys that match the sticker on the computer case, and none of them have ever failed the Microsoft validation test when I connected for updates.

Yes, I believe you're OK.

No Events found!