Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2017 16:00

disable caps/scroll/num lock in W7

I have a XPS 8500 with a Windows 7 Home Premium OS, 64-bit operating system. I have scoured google like crazy for answers with no luck. It's not in Ease of Access options, I have no options for such in Display settings or Keyboard, nothing of my Bluetooth is causing it, and even various suggestions of registry edits do not apply to me. 

I am at my wits end. I find the notification to be distracting. Is it possible for a specific Windows Update to cause something like this? 

4 Posts

May 6th, 2017 18:00

I looked on the internet one more time and in the comments of a youtube video had my solution:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cambridge Silicon Radio\Harmony\Default

"OSD" - > set it to "0" and restart computer.

I do not have the notification anymore. Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 11:00

"I find the notification to be distracting"
Let's backup. What specific notification? Post a picture. How long have you had the XPS 8500 and when did the notification first appear?

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 16:00

It's a notification showing me whenever my caps lock, scroll lock, number lock is on or off. I've had this system for over 10 years. This notification business started up maybe a month or two ago.. so fairly recently.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 4th, 2017 07:00

You need to check the Windows Update history to find what installed "a month or two ago" and see if you can remove that update. Then retest.

4 Posts

May 4th, 2017 11:00

I was asking if it was possible for an Update to do that. However, I did look through them and nothing on there via research shows it would change it. Is there anything else I can do to remove/disable it?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 6th, 2017 09:00

I have been looking and cannot identify what update or software may be doing this. I know some wireless keyboard/mouse confgurations have software that might make it appear.

74 Posts

August 21st, 2020 05:00

I've ended up carrying out more searches and finally found a way (that actually works) to just disable the key.
( see video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nHSMzC488 )

I would have thought that since this was a fairly common problem that people had been faced with even in Vista, that microsoft would have found a way to rid us of this problem when they made Win7.

And dont even dare suggest i buy Win8 (assuming they actually put the disabling feature in this time), as i've seen and heard nothing but atocities with it

No Events found!