divyesh97
1 Copper

dual boot windows xp and windows 2000 prof

i have dell computer with windos xp installed. i connected another hard drive on disk 1. did format and installed windows 2000 on the new hard drive. after rebooting the system it gave me option to boot from windows xp or windows 2000. windows 2000 worked good but. windows xp gives error. so i decided to remove the second hard dirve disk 1 the one with windows 2000. tried to reboot gave error but, fixed with repair option on windows xp. now it works good with windows xp.

it still shows the dual boot option window

windows xp

windows 2000

i want to get rid of dual boot screen. please help! i want to boot from windows xp only.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DELL-MichaelC
4 Ruthenium

Re: dual boot windows xp and windows 2000 prof

divyesh97,

I hope you can understand because of our license agreement with Microsoft, Dell can only support the operating system that we install or upgrade.  This includes the changes you made.  We're not going to be of much assistance with this issue.

I'll keep this message here and hopefully there are users out there that can assist you with this issue.

0 Kudos
Kanuk001
3 Argentium

1) Your first problem was caused by installing Windows 2000 after XP. In a multi-boot environment, you normally install the oldest OS first.

2) That being said, in order to remove the entry for Windows 2000, look for the file "Boot.ini" in the C:\ root directory. Remove the line which refers to Windows 2000.

BE CAREFULL. If you damage this file you will have to reinstall your XP.

0 Kudos
ajcutler
1 Copper

I gather from all that I have read on dual booting with XP and 2000 I cannot place my W2K drive from my old DELL into my new DELL that has XP and have any way to dual boot them without re-installing an O/S.  Am I correct in this assumption?

0 Kudos