Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2005 18:00

help...can't open a jpeg in paint shop

i should preface this with the fact that i am clueless and terrified when it comes to computers.  i tried to save a jpeg a friend sent me (so that i could upload it for my online profile...TMI?) anyway, it automatically saves the picture in "my pictures" as a paint shop photo album file.  when i look in "my picutures, i don't see a small version image (like all those pics of magnificent flowers and landscape that the automatically put in there for you) but instead a white page with yellow and black lines and boxes on it. i recognize the title of the picture and click on it.  a box comes up telling me that it cannot open the file.  strangely enough, when i send the image as an attachment to an email, it can open it while looking at that email.  i want to be able to do the most basic editing...specifically crop the picture before i upload it to match.com!  my dating future depends on it.  any help would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks!
leo   

18.8K Posts

March 4th, 2005 19:00

leogirl,

Paint Shop can open a normal .jpeg file. It sounds like the file you received is corrupted or mislabeled. To work around the problem since you can open the file if you send it as an attachment in email send it to yourself. When it opens, right-click it and select "Save picture as..." from the context menu. Save it with a new name and the extension of your choice and you should then be able to manipulate it without difficulty.

3 Posts

March 4th, 2005 20:00

denny,

i spoke too. soon,  when i tried what  you suggested (sending the picture back to myself), it didn't work...though "something" was attached in the email, i couldn't really look at the picture like i thought i would be able to.  i decided to try saving it to photo shop again anyway and it saved it as an html document?

so, do you think the pictures they are sending aren't really jpegs?  what do you mean by corrupted?  i don't understand why i can look at picture someone sends, but am not able to save it to my computer.    

is there something else i am doing wrong?

463 Posts

March 9th, 2005 16:00

Make sure your Paint Shop program is set to recognize "jpeg" extensions.

Open your Paint Shop program, click on: File, scroll down to "Preferences", click on "file format associations".

When that window opens, scroll down the list and make sure there are check marks in the boxes in front of JPEG.

I, usually, set my Paint Shop to recognize ALL.

Dimension 8400
1 GB SDRAM
3.4GHz
160GB
Samsung CD-R/RW
Philips DVD+RW
Iomega HDD 80GB USB 2.0
Radeon X300
WinXP w/Service Pack 2

35 Posts

March 9th, 2005 22:00

leogirl wrote:   i should preface this with the fact that i am clueless and terrified when it comes to computers.  i tried to save a jpeg a friend sent me (so that i could upload it for my online profile...TMI?) anyway, it automatically saves the picture in "my pictures" as a paint shop photo album file.  when i look in "my picutures, i don't see a small version image (like all those pics of magnificent flowers and landscape that the automatically put in there for you) but instead a white page with yellow and black lines and boxes on it. i recognize the title of the picture and click on it.  a box comes up telling me that it cannot open the file.  strangely enough, when i send the image as an attachment to an email, it can open it while looking at that email.  i want to be able to do the most basic editing...specifically crop the picture before i upload it to match.com!  my dating future depends on it.  any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks!   leo

if  you  can  open  that  e-mail  and  re-save  the  image / file :
try  opening  that  same  e-mail  which  contained  the  picture  that  you  downloaded / saved  to  your  computer,  and  re-save  that  image . . . this  time  making  sure  you  save  it  in  suitable  format.  to  do  this,  when  you  save  the  file . . . windows  operating  system  will  open  an  interface,  where  you  name  the  file . . . and,  directly  below  that,  windows  also  offers  you  a  drop-down  menu.  you  will  notice,  this  drop-down  menu  allows  you  to  save  the  image / file  in  different  formats.
example :  if  the  interface  allows  you  to  save  it  in  jpeg  format,  you  will  notice  a  *.jpg  extension  at  the  end  of  the  file-name.  if  this  *.jpg  extension  is  not  at  the  end  of  the  file-name . . . type  it  in  manually.  same  goes  for  any  other  type  of  file.  what  you  do  not  want  to  do  is  save  the  file  without  an  extension.  before  you  hit  the  SAVE  button . . . make  sure  that  extension  is  visible.

if  you  cannot  open  that  e-mail  and  re-save  the  image / file :
really,  there's  a  myriad  of  things  you  can  do . . . in  attempting  to  open  that  image / file.
   opt  1.) open  up  the  windows  paint  program (programs / accessories).  go  up  to  file / open.  in  the  interface  that  appears  in  front  of  you,  at  the  bottom (files of type)  you  will  notice  a  drop-down  menu,  choose  "all  files" . . . not  all  "picture"  files.  now,  in  the  upper  portion  of  that  same  interface . . . navigate  to  where  that  image / file  is  located.  click  that  image / file . . . choose  OPEN.  now . . . re-save  that  image / file . . . making  sure  you  place  the  appropriate  extension  at  the  end  of  the  file-name.
   opt  2.) locate  the  image / file  you  wish  to  open  and  right-click  on  the  file  with  your  mouse . . . choose  "send to wordpad".  once  the  file  is  open,  you  will  notice  all  sorts  of  binary  code.  the  very  top  line  should  have  the  native  type  of  image  visible (BMP / JFIF / JPEG / GIF / PNG / TIFF / etc.).  once  you  ascertain  which  kind  of  image / file  it  is . . . close  wordpad (do not save) and  "rename"  the  image / file  with  the  appropriate  extension  at  the  end  of  the  file-name.
   opt  3.) simply  re-name  the  image / file . . . making  sure  the  extension  is  intact . . . so  that  windows  operating  system  will  know  how  to  open  the  file.  to  do  this,  locate  the  image / file  in  windows  explorer . . . and  see  if  the  extension  at  the  end  of  the  file-name  is  in  view.  also,  look  at  other  files  in  the  same  folder . . . are  those  extensions  in  view ?
         a.) if  some  extensions  are  in  view  and  others  are  not  in  view . . . this  probably  means  the  file  you  saved  is  missing  the  appropriate  extension;  and  all  you  have  to  do  is  simply  rename  the  file . . . using  the  appropriate  extension.
         b.) if  no  extensions  are  visible  on  any  of  the  files . . . this  means  that  the  windows  operating  system  has  hidden  the  extensions . . . so  that  crucial  files  cannot  be  tampered  with.  in  order  to  view  these  file  extensions,  go  down  to  windows  start_menu . . . start / settings / control_panel / folder_options / view_tab / "hide extensions for known file types" . . . and  un-check  the  "hide  extensions"  portion.  click  APPLY  or  OK  and  close  that  interface.  take  note . . . once  you  have  ascertained  that  your  image / file  is  named  appropriately  and  that  everything  is  fine . . . it's  a  good  idea  to  go  back  and  "hide  extensions" . . . so  crucial  files  cannot  be  tampered  with.
   opt  4.) similar  to  the  second  option  illustrated  above . . . right-click  the  image / file  with  your  mouse . . . choosing  "open  with"  and  then  decide  on  a  compatible  imaging  program  to  open  the  image / file  with.  that  same  interface  which  appears  might  have  an  option  at  the  bottom  "always choose this program to open this type of file" . . . make  sure  that  option  is  un-checked.
   opt  5.) try  opening  the  file  with  any  or  all  of  the  programs  available  on  your  system.

when  saving  images . . . one  usually  has  two  different  directives . . . quality  or  space.
         a.) an  image  that  has  no  compression  will  be  of  the  best  quality . . . but  this  will  lead  to  files  that  can  be  very  large  in  terms  of  file-size (not image-size).
         b.) an  image  with  maximum  compression  will  offer  lowest  quality . . . resuting  in  files  that  are  very  small  in  terms  of  file-size (not image-size).
in  comparison . . . an  image / file  with  no  compression,  file-size  of  about  500kb . . . if  compressed  into  jpeg  format (*.jpg) using  the  maximum  allowable  factor . . . the  file-size  could  be  as  low  as  7 - 10kb.
the  actual  dimensions  of  the  image  itself  have  to  do  with  cropping  and  resolution . . . but  that's  a  whole  'nother  ball  game.

one  final  hint . . . i  would  "copy"  the  file  to  your  desktop . . . so  you  cano  play  around  with  the  file,  and  not  worry  yourself  about  "corrupting"  the  file.
same  goes  when  you  choose  to  actually  "edit"  images . . . always  save /  archive  the  original . . . so  it  cannot  be  over-written  by  a  "bad edit".   :-)
when  you  send  the  image / file  to  your  friend . . . make  sure  that  type  of  image  is  supported  at  both  ends . . . and  inform  your  friend  what  type  of  image  it  is.  this  is  common  courtesy.

Message Edited by pijai on 03-09-2005 06:38 PM

Message Edited by pijai on 03-09-2005 06:39 PM

3 Posts

March 13th, 2005 16:00

thanks SO MUCH for all your help you guys!  i ended up doing a combination of things...i finally figured it out at like 4:30 this morning. 

i was able to save jpegs to my yahoo!photo album and send them to other people who were able to save them to their own computers without a problem.  i knew it had something to do with a default setting i couldn't seem to change or this paint shop thing! 

i think i had the free starter versions of the paint shop software.   what i noticed is that every photo i saved to my computer defaulted to being saved as a paint shop photo album image.  great, but i could do nothing with it...i was unable to open paint shop without purchasing more software (which i did not want to do) and i couldn't even open and look at the images that saved to my paint shop photo album.  they all defaulted to being saved as either bitmaps or *art or something similar. paintshop pro and paintshop photo album had to go.   

once i got rid of the paintshop, i was able to save pictures from my yahoo!photo albums to my computer in "my pictures".  they saved as standard jpegs and i was able to look at and open ithem without a problem. i did notice that if i tried to save an image that someone forwarded to my yahoo mailbox DIRECTLY to my computer, i had a problem opening and looking at it (even though it said it saved as a jpeg?!)

however, saving any pictures that are sent to my yahoo mailbox to my yahoo!photo album first and THEN to my computer seems to work.  that seems fine. i am able to do some very basic editing in yahoo!photos (cropping is all i would have used paint shop for).  that is all my little brain can take at this point.  i'm happy to say that i have uploaded my pictures and joined both match.com and yahoo!personals.  i've gotten lots of great responses and should hopefully be getting some dates soon.  crisis averted :) thanks!!!

Message Edited by leogirl on 03-13-2005 12:08 PM

Message Edited by leogirl on 03-13-2005 12:09 PM

No Events found!