Highlighted
Hanz0
Copper

help restoring dell studio xps 13 to factory setting

i recently got myself a dell xps. i did a manual install of windows using the disk that came with the laptop. i thought it was the factory restore disk since it had dell all over it. when everything was finish it was a clean install of window and wasn't how i first got it. i have tried the F8, but there wasn't a Dell Factory Restore option. well alittle digging around i found out that i still have the Factory.wim file but seem like its not detecting it. Can anyone help with this problem or point me to the right direction. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: help restoring dell studio xps 13 to factory setting

Hanz0,

If the factory recovery partition is still there and works, then try...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If you removed the factory image or it bacme corrupt and is not working, then you need to...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Hanz0
Copper

thanks for the quick assistance. The first link if for vista, i currently using windows 7. i have change the option to windows 7 and it bring me back to the F8 to advance boot option. which bring me back to where i started. on the second link i did the manual install which i thought it was the PC restore since i use the disc was provided with the laptop. i was able to copy the FACTORY.WIM to my windows drive. is there a way for me to run it or make it to a boot disc?

0 Kudos

Hanz0,

If I'm reading this correctly, you had Vista on the computer. You upgraded to Windows 7. It sounds like you want to go back to Windows Vista, correct?

How to uninstall Windows 7

If this is what you want, then this link will help you.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Hanz0
Copper

it came wiht windows 7 home. i did a clean install on window 7 thinking that was a factory restore. now it doesnt have the option to for Dell Factory Restore on advance boot option. but the RECOVERY partition is there i did not install over it

Update. I recently finish talking to Dell Support. They said there's no possible way to restore it to factory after i did a clean install? even my RECOVERY partition is still avaiable.

0 Kudos

Hanz0,

I am not really sure what comes with Windows 7 from the factory.

Are you having a problem with a device, program or do you need something. With Windows 7, you can make you own backup partition.

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7

and

How to Do a System Image Recovery in Windows 7

Will help with the information.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos