Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2009 19:00

hibernate missing after re-installing my Windows XP pro

Hi I had to format my laptop inspiron 6400 and reinstall the original Window XP again. Even I tried to enter service tag and I installed drivers recommended still I have my hibernate function missing. When I want to turn off the computer only 3 options are there and the forth one which is hibernate is missing (doesn't exist at all). I do know there should be another driver to install to fix the problem which is not among drivers recommended but I can find it if someone tell me the name of the category that affects "hibernate".

if u go to driver download, there is one box as "category" even if you select all, you wont have all drivers there, rather you should know the name of the category to select, if you look at the box, it starts from application, audio etc. Maybe someone can tell me where, in which category I might find this drive.

Regards

Reza 

872 Posts

April 24th, 2009 20:00

after installing windows, did you intall all the drivers starting with the chipset driver before installing any of the others?  if you did not install the chipset driver first then it is anybody's guess how your system might behave.  if you did install the chipset driver then try looking under start-controlpanel-appearanceandthemes-display-screensaver(tab)-power(button) to open the power options properties window... in that window look under the 'hibernate' tab to enable hibernation on your system, and under the 'advanced' tab to see the settings for the system behaviour when closing the lid or pressing the power button.

2 Posts

April 27th, 2009 23:00

I have tried this many times & it acts like it's letting me change that setting, but then it doesn't work.  When I go back in to see if the setting is ok, it's back to being off.  Is there a separate driver??

April 28th, 2009 18:00

there are two chip-sets i installed both of them, and considering "look under the 'hibernate' tab to enable hibernation"  hibernation was always enabled.

Still no hibernation, any other solutions? it should be another driver missing on Dell's website.

No Events found!