Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2014 19:00

how to install bios with usb flash drive........

hi all, 

kinda a newbie here, so here i go....does any body know or have experience updating bios via a usb flash drive or if even possible.  Because i can't  get my laptop to turn on after running ePSA it say that there is something wrong with my hard drive and the first thing i should try is updating my bios. but i can't even get in windows; the farthest i am able to go once i restart is right before the small windows logo once you boot up your computer or if there is another option that i have not thought about, would be greatly appreciated.....oh and my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 14R (N4110) with win 7 64-bit....

Thank you in advance for all your help.....

Regards,

Sam Lee, Jr.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 26th, 2014 21:00

Hi Sam,

Good work on troubleshooting. It seems like you have received hard drive error when you ran the diagnostics. Please rerun the diagnostics and reply back with the error so that I can check and assist you further.

22 Posts

July 27th, 2014 10:00

Might be tricky for him: " i can't get my laptop to turn on ..."

10 Posts

July 27th, 2014 13:00

Hi Ravi,

how are you doing? Thanks for the encouragement. The error code is: 2000-0142, if there is anything else please let me know?!?

Regards,

Sam Lee

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 27th, 2014 17:00

Your hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. Windows will need to be loaded on the replacement drive. If you are in warranty you can get a replacement sent out from Dell.

Otherwise you can replace it yourself using a Solid State Drive, see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/hardware-upgrades-for-your-system/upgrading-to-a-solid-state-drive/

To Reinstall Windows on the new drive see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

10 Posts

July 29th, 2014 01:00

Hi Philip,

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate it.  I still

have a couple of questions after looking at the links you provided.  1. If I do decide

to follow your recommendation on getting a SSD drive, will Dell still offer me 

support for it?? Which leads info my next question, the support that

is being offered will they show me how to reinstall the ePSA software

and all the other backup and restore software on my computer like when I first purchased it??

Thank you very much again...

Regards,

sam

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 30th, 2014 12:00

The onboard diagnostics ePSA are all inbuilt into the BIOS of the mainboard for newer systems such as yours so you will still be able to run the diagnostics tests and don't need to worry about a diagnostics partition like for older systems.

Dell won't support the SSD or your custom software configuration. They will still support your original hardware which is the important thing. If you need to send it in for repair simply remove your SSD.

The recovery partition etc will be useless if you manually install unless you made the Recovery USB using Dell Backup and Recovery (which can be used to restore the factory install and a recovery partition on a blank drive. The only thing is the new drive must be the same size as the original drive or larger.

The latest version of Dell Backup and Recovery can be installed on a clean install to make a recovery partition of the clean install. I have been testing it out recently on a clean install and its much better than previous versions:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery/

No Events found!