Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2009 15:00

how to reinstall an OS on a Dell Mini without CD/DVD drives

I received a Dell Mini from a media provider as a gift for switching my media services.  I would like to do a clean install of the OS.  The mini came with the OS and driver CD's, but the computer does not have a CD/DVD drive.  Before undertaking this endeavor I want to make sure I can do it this way.  Can I copy the contents of the CD's onto a USB drive and install the OS and drivers from the USB drive (I have a Desktop that I can transfer from the CD to the USB)?  Or is there another method to do this.  Thanks for any answers. 

4.6K Posts

February 24th, 2009 05:00

Both Vista and XP can be installed from a USB pendrive.  There are many articles on the web explaining how to do it. 

Here are a couple of XP guides:  Installing Windows XP Using A USB Flash Drive / Installing Windows XP on a PC using a USB flash drive.

For Vista... there are so many guides available, I might as well just provide a link to all the hits from a Google search for 'InstaIling Windows Vista using a USB drive?'.

1.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 12:00

I'm not sure what exactly is needed to do this, but I have heard of numerous people that have done OS installs via USB key in the past.  Most recently I have heard of it done specifically with the Mini 9, so you should be able to.

110 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 17:00

I think you need a external cd/dvd drive.

301 Posts

March 19th, 2009 14:00

Just an update.  I was able to install from a USB drive.  I used one of the articles that came up in your Google search, TheRealFireBlade.  The only problem I ran into pertained to whether or not my motherboard could boot from a USB drive.  I could not find a yes or no answer through my research, so I tried it anyways.  Well, it worked. 

thanks

2 Posts

March 17th, 2013 10:00

I'm not sure what exactly is needed to do this, but I have heard of numerous people that have done OS installs via USB key in the past.  Most recently I have heard of it done specifically with the Mini 9, so you should be able to.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 17th, 2013 15:00

parvazkhan,

DELL-Larry R no longer works for Dell. If you have a problem, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forums

Because of age, this thread will be locked.

Thank you,

Rick

No Events found!