Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2008 03:00

lost 20gb

to make a long story short, i downloaded and used virtual pc 2007. i created a virtual harddisk of 20gb. i finished my testing, now i do i get back those 20gb? i deleted the Virtual Hardisk file in my documents but no luck. any suggestions?

6.4K Posts

October 5th, 2008 04:00

I've never used the virtual PC myself, but I would think that the virtual hard drive is a special file on the drive.  Otherwise you would either be creating a new partition on the hard drive, or at the least a logical drive in an extended partition.  Did you take a good look at what's on your drive with Windows Explorer?  I bet you find a strange 20 GB file on your drive somewhere.

528 Posts

October 5th, 2008 04:00

So you got 20GB missing in your properties of the drive?

did you empty the recycling bin and reboot? 

1.6K Posts

October 5th, 2008 13:00

the reboot, i just tried and no luck. yes i searched through my entire drive, and still 20gb is somehow misteriously being used up. I used WinDirStat. and that cant find whats using an extra 20gb on my drive. strange aint it. on microsoft's drive. they said when you delete the .vhd file, (which i did) you'll get back your space, but i didnt.

1.6K Posts

October 5th, 2008 22:00

I looked through the entire drive again, i found nothing. no file that takes up 20gb. :-(

940 Posts

October 6th, 2008 20:00

Try uninstalling Virtual PC 2007. Or you could launch it and see if it still has the configuration set for a 20gb drive, if so you can delete it from there.
No Events found!