Highlighted
janisum
1 Nickel

lost password, reinstall Windows?

This is my first post and I am a novice  This is my issue, I bought a Dell Inspiron N4110, running Win/7. I bought this at a reputable pawn shop and was given a temp. password to use for 6 months. We moved and I lost track of time and forgot to change the P.W.. So, when I downloaded quite a few Windows updates a few weeks ago, the computer rebooted with the windows sign in page. Since I had it configured to not need to type a password in, I'd forgotten it and the paper I noted it in is gone.

Needless to say, I am needing to either erase the PW or take it out. Or, reinstall Windows? I did find a video on youtube showing how to find a lost password but I am hesitant in doing that. Does anyone have any ideas for me so that I can use my laptop again? I do have a product key.

Thanks in advance   

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

RE: lost password, reinstall Windows?

If its a Windows password follow the instructions here to Clean Install:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/

In particular:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/

If its a BIOS password (occurs before the Windows logo) then you must phone Dell Technical Support to get it.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
janisum
1 Nickel

RE: lost password, reinstall Windows?

I didn't reinstall Windows since I'm not sure I need to after this new info. today. Can you help me? It is not a BIOS password.  

I've been attempting to recover it for a month and all I would get is the same "username or PW is incorrect". But today I got the "Password Reset Wizard". It tells me the disk is in drive USB20FD (E). I'm confused as to what it is referring to since I have no disk. I did, however, transfer some files from my desktop before first using. 

Do you think I need to purchase "Easy Recovery Essentials" to obtain a Dell recovery disk or am I missing the big picture and a simple solution is lurking. I really need to get this laptop back up especially after my shoulder surgery

Tags (3)
0 Kudos