Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

July 7th, 2005 23:00

my network places

I have this inspiron 8600 and i'm wireless in this hotel.
Had ocassion to go to my computer then to my network places and when I click on + box I see some folders and files that are not mine and I did not download.
Out of curiosity I opened a few thinking I might finding something of interest.  Boring stuff.  Though there is a name on a tax return.
So I ask hotel desk person is there a guest in hotel with that name. Yes to that.
I am running mcafee firewall and virus protection on this computer.
Thing is my computer appears to run faster when I highlight and right click on my network places to delete all that stuff and then go on line and surf.
Question is.  Is there a way to disconnect or disable my network places so next person in that persons room doesn't again get into my computer and if I disable network places will it prevent me from going on line?
And what is network places as info under it is none of my stuff?
thanks

11.9K Posts

@lockmfg wrote:
I have this inspiron 8600 and i'm wireless in this hotel.
Had ocassion to go to my computer then to my network places and when I click on + box I see some folders and files that are not mine and I did not download.
Out of curiosity I opened a few thinking I might finding something of interest.  Boring stuff.  Though there is a name on a tax return.
So I ask hotel desk person is there a guest in hotel with that name. Yes to that.
I am running mcafee firewall and virus protection on this computer.
Thing is my computer appears to run faster when I highlight and right click on my network places to delete all that stuff and then go on line and surf.
Question is.  Is there a way to disconnect or disable my network places so next person in that persons room doesn't again get into my computer and if I disable network places will it prevent me from going on line?
And what is network places as info under it is none of my stuff?
thanks

You need to turn off File and Print Sharing on your computer ASAP.

You should tell the other guest to do the same.  If you delete his stuff, you're deleting it off his computer...

64 Posts

okay I'll go look for file and print sharing on my computer if I can find it.

as for deleting stuff under my network places.  It appears to come back when I reboot and there is not way I could be deleting it from that person computer since it would have to take some time to replace.  but anyway.

where is file and print sharing on my computer if I don't find it right away.

and how or should i disable my network places.

thanks.  Oh and if there was anything interesting on this other persons computer I would have reported it to police but then it was as I said boring stuff.

28K Posts

Again, even if you could delete My Network Places, those shared files and folders on someone elses computer would not go away.  The listings will not go away until the person that owns the computer with those shared files and folders either shuts down or disables File and Printer Sharing.  If you were to click on one of the links in My Network Places, you would have acces to those files or folders and you could delete them.  But, since you would be accessing someone else's computer, you would be deleting the files and folders of their computer. You would not be deleting anything from your computer.

To see if File and Printer Sharing is enabled, Right click on My Network Places and select Properties from the drop down menu.  Then right click on your wireless network connection and select Properties from that drop down menu.  Under "This computer uses the following items"  If File and Printer Sharing is in the list, remove the check mark in the box in front of it.  If it is not in the list, then it is not enabled.

Steve

64 Posts

okay steve,

I right clicked on properties for my documents, then right clicked on my network connections and under advanced box is unchecked in front of allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

and window firewall box is on and as recommended.

I'm going to try and modify a file in this other persons files and tell them to turn off their file sharing.

28K Posts

What you looked at has abosutely nothing to do with File and Printer Sharing.  What you looked at is Internet Connection Sharing which is used to share a single internet connection between multiple computers.  Since you do not have that setup and will likely never use that setup, it has no bearing on your situation whatsoever.  Please read my instructions again.  I said nothing about "my documents" and never said to click on the Advanced tab.

Steve

28K Posts

Whether or not you remove My Network Places will have no bearing on who is connected to the network.  My Network Places only contains shortcuts to other locations on the network.  By connecting to the hotel's unsecured network, your computer and everyone else connected to that network is on the network.  To protect yourself, you can turn disable File and Printer Sharing which will prevent anyone from accessing drives and folders on your computer.   Unless the other people on the network also turn off File and Printer Sharing, everyone on the network will have access to any file or folder that is designated as a shared resource.  If you are running a firewall, you can also prevent anyone from accessing your computer by disabling any local network access.

Steve

64 Posts

July 8th, 2005 00:00

okay

client for microsoft network was checked.

file and printer sharing for microsoft printer was checked.  I unchecked it.

Q0s packet scedule was checked

aegis protocol was checked.

internet protocol was checked.

After I send this message I'll reboot jusgt in case to take affect for now unchecked above.

When I said I would try to communicate by opening files of other person under my documents i couldn't i was being blocked or did not have access.

Could someone have been peeking into my computer prior to me unchecking above box.  I've gone from being a snoop into someone elses computer to now wondering if they were into my computer.

very strange. and thanking you for your help.  Could be those in close rooms had no interest in what i was doing.  I'm wonder  when I reboot if not sharing will eliminate those files under my network. 

28K Posts

July 8th, 2005 00:00

Turning off File and Printer Sharing on your computer will just prevent people on the network from accessing your files.  It will not prevent you from accessing someone elses files.  If those on other computers have File and Printer Sharing enabled, but are running the a firewall that restricts network access, then you won't be able to access their files.  They may still show up in My Network Places, however.  Yes, while File and Printer Sharing was enabled, if your firewall was not set to block local network access, then people could have already accessed your files.

Steve

No Events found!