Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2007 18:00

need XP drivers for new Inspiron 531

Just bought an Inspiron 531 that came loaded with Vista. I did a clean install of my own copy of XP but now I need drivers for the SM Bus Controller, a PCI bridge device (the network controller?) and another unidentified PCI device. None of these are listed at the driver page for this computer and XP. The chipset is listed as an Nvidia® MCP 61. I don't know if I need updated drivers for that either. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Driver list is here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&impid=-1&vercnt=1&osl=en&SystemID=INSP_DSKTP_D531&catid=-1&deviceid=14246&releaseid=R159026&servicetag=&os=WW1&formatcnt=1&libid=1

July 14th, 2007 20:00

I did a search and coulden't find any other drivers apart from the ones on the Dell site allready.
You could try contacting Dell as your Inspiron is new and Dell will now have all the drivers available now.

Inspiron 1501

MK36 AMD Turion

2 GB RAM

ATI 200MSeries

12.7K Posts

July 14th, 2007 21:00

Nvidia MCP 61  chipset is what is used in the Inspiron 531

Known drivers that work for the 531 and most likely the 531s, install the in the following order for best results.

1. Chipset, 2. Video, 3. Sound, 4. Modem, 5. AMDlive patch  

Video   Video, covers many models of Nvidia cards including the integrated chip, click the "products supported" tab  Special thanks to "episodic"
**UPDATED**
It is a Realtek ALC888 sound chip

The Vostro 200 Xp Sound drivers are reported to work for the 531    R158510 
R158510
again, thanks to Don "etherion" & "episodic" for this tip

The Vostro 400 Sound drivers are reported to work for the 531 also.   R162030
R162030
thanks to hemiii0 for this tip

Phone Modem, **verified to work** Special Thanks to DaveC210  R73044
R73044 
Newer Phone modem Driver, not verified R131301
R131301
For the     ACPI/AWY0001..." Unknown Device Special thanks to Scott "yodigity" for digging this one up
This link works, the one posted by Scott is broken for now.
If you have a Dell Bluetooth/Card Reader (CAB-200) see this, special thanks to Fitzman
Wireless ASUS WL-138gE
pick "wireless" for products "client card" for series  and "WL-138gE" for model. XP Driver file is 3100640.zip
Special thanks to wa1349 (Bill)

As you can tell I have revised this post to reflect new changes and drivers posted by others in this thread, trying to make it easy for the technically challenged to downgrade their 531's
Thanks to everyone for contributing, please post any updates, error's or problems with the info in this post.

As some of these nvidia links may become broken, you can get a complete nVidia driver pack here

http://outerheaven.c-reality.com/archives/84-Dell-Inspiron-531-Windows-XP-Driver-Pack.html

Message Edited by mombodog on 04-08-2008 09:05 PM

12.7K Posts

July 14th, 2007 22:00

Thus the reason for my handle, mombodog, I dig up things.

You are Welcome, and thanks for posting back about the success.

So, is device manager clear of any missing drivers now? Post back any other links to drivers for that model and XP, besides the few on Dell's site.

5 Posts

July 14th, 2007 22:00

Mombodog - thank you VERY much for coming up with those. I went with the link to the nvidia site first and it worked like a charm. Good to know since tech support told me my only option was to return the computer and buy a different one or reinstall Vista. Reinstalling Vista would have been a challenge since I don't know if Dell's reinstallation disk would have worked after the clean install of XP. Thanks again man!

12.7K Posts

July 15th, 2007 01:00

Try this free utility to help identify that device.

Probably a modem, what pci cards are installed?

5 Posts

July 15th, 2007 01:00

There's one more incomplete item on device manager - listed simply as a PCI device. Not sure what it is yet. On the surface, everything else looks functional - i.e. DVD burner, media card reader. If you have any thoughts, let me know. Thanks again.

5 Posts

July 16th, 2007 02:00

The only card installed is video (drivers on CD worked for XP). There are two empty slots. The missing link is sound. Right now there is none. It's integrated but not identified in device manager. The Belarc site indicated "none detected" for multimedia. So I think I'm now hunting for an elusive sound driver for the nvidia board. I'll let you know what I find out. Unfortunately my hunting time is limited so if you run across anything before me, send it on over. Thanks again. It looks like PC manufacturers (at least Dell) is starting the divorce from XP and the marriage to Vista in a no-turn-back manner.

12.7K Posts

July 16th, 2007 03:00

It is a realtek ACL888 sound chip

newest version here

Message Edited by mombodog on 09-26-2007 12:05 AM

5 Posts

July 17th, 2007 00:00

mombodog - you da man! Thank you again. All is well now. No yellow flags in device manager and everything works on a new Inspiron 531 with XP. Hope your links help someone else too in the near future.

1 Message

July 29th, 2007 00:00

Hi from France ! Thanks you guys , kentw79 and mombodog are my two Heroes ! No sound on a Pc is soo bad ^_^ . I download the last link and the sound didn't apeard but after make sound event in "Properties of sounds and audio peripherals" (traduction of french window :p ) and : let there be sound !!! Thx you all again and sorry for my bad english xD

August 3rd, 2007 16:00

Hi there

Thanks for your help with the INSPIRON 531. 

Would you happen to know where the drivers are for the INSPIRON 530 ?

It is a Celeron CPU.

Thanks in advance.

August 4th, 2007 22:00

Would anyone know where I could find he WindowsXP drivers for the Inspiron 530?

3.2K Posts

August 4th, 2007 23:00

Click on the Drivers and Downloads button in the left panel of this page . . navigate to your pc and download any and all drivers you need . .

August 5th, 2007 17:00

I have already checked there prior to posting.  The DELL website does not list all the drivers for WInXP.  :smileysad:

August 9th, 2007 12:00

Does anyone know if DELL has these drivers some where?

OR if anyone has the drivers for the Inspiron 530 'desktop', please post.

thanks

(Bump)
No Events found!