Depaul
1 Copper

Re: "Corrupt Config\System" error message..resolutions?

OOOOpppsie....

F8 is available to me..it lists all the standard options, but upon highlighting and hitting enter....

all options return me to the config error message....

tried this in both usb and hard drive boot first sequences.....

Each time I try this repair, I am more and more sure this is probably a a simple combination of magic key combos only available to confirmed and exalted computer gurus...lol

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on rear of tower when it won't boot? If not all green, look up error codes here. Power off and disconnect PC from the wall. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and remove the battery from the motherboard. Press/hold the power button again for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery -right side up! See if it boots now. And if the battery is more than ~2-3 yrs old replace it with a new 3-Volt CR2032 lithium coin cell (~$2-$3 at Walmart, Target, etc). 4th attempt to post... :emotion-6: Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Sorry for the run on paragraph. The forum refused to accept the paragraph breaks and won't let me edit it.

And here are the links it won't accept:

Error codes:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/adtshoot.htm#wp1052387

Remove battery:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/parts.htm#wp1058524

COME ON DELL, FIX THIS STUPID SOFTWARE, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Ro

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

We're getting there, Ron.  We're getting there. 😉  I just tracked down the problem with Rick's sig, and paragraph spacing is next on my personal list (right after the specific changes to fix ordered/unordered lists).

0 Kudos
tgsmith
5 Tungsten

Ok!  Here's how to solve your problem.  Go here:  www.ubcd4win.com

Read the instructions on how to build the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.  Actually, it's very simple.  Click on "Downloads" in the left pane. Download the UBCD executable and install it.  Next, read the instructions on how to create the UBCD iso and burn it to CD/DVD.

Once you have created the bootable UBCD, insert it into the CD/DVD drive of the 8400.  Restart the 8400.  Either press F2 to go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD as the first boot device and then restart, or press F12 while the Dell logo is on the screen.  Select the CD/DVD drive as the boot drive.  Press Enter. 

Once the UBCD desktop is up, you can use it to backup data on your hard drive, run chkdsk, virus scans or whatever you need to do to repair your existing Windows system.

If you need assistance, let us know.

Tony

0 Kudos
Depaul
1 Copper

Thank you for all the help folks....

I will attempt those suggestions before i replace the hard drive....

I had an old ide drive and installed it temporarily and the 8400 booted to it, but of course there were driver issues

so i know the pc is in overall good shape other than that config error thingy...lol

once again

thankyou and Happy Holidays to all.

and to the board techie...

didja guys ever consider revamping this forum to a universally accepted and tried and true format such as V-bulletin?

0 Kudos
canclinijg
1 Copper

I had the corrupt system file.  Ran CHKDSK /R but it still didn't fix it. So I did a repair install of XP SP2 using my Dell  CD.  Seemed to reinstall OK, but now screen resolution is only 480 x 620.  How do I get the higer screnn resolutions back?

Thanks

JGC

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Download the chipset driver to your desktop from Dell's drivers & download page for your model system. Reboot in SAFE MODE and double-click to install the chipset. Then reboot normally.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need to reinstall your video driver too.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

Tags (1)
0 Kudos