Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2009 12:00

"The Parameter is Incorrect", then Shutdown?!

Hello.

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop, and I'm having some very irritating problems.

I recently downloaded the program Handbrake and DVD43, so I could do some minor editing projects.

What happens sometimes is that in the middle of processing a video, a message comes up and says, "The parameter is incorrect."

About two seconds later, the whole laptop shuts down.

When I turn it back on, my computer seems just fine.

I've scanned it many times for malicious virus, and I've defragmented my laptop many times.

No viruses are present, and the defragmentor clears up everything.

Another problem that's been occuring is that when I use Firefox sometimes, the whole computer freezes. This happens when I click on a link.

When this happens, I get this strange brief 'click' noise for my computer, like actually INSIDE the laptop, not from the speakers.

Also when I use Firefox, the whole computer shuts, and I can't figure out why.

Sometimes "The parameter is incorrect" message come up, but most of the time it doesn't. It just shuts down out of the blue.

I've figured out that it happens when I'm play several rounds of Quake Live, or when I have many tags w/ videos open.

In fact, the side of my laptop puts of A LOT of heat.

I should also add that I have a lot of free space available on my computer.

Please tell me, if you know, how to fix these things.

Thank you.

• 

16.7K Posts

April 15th, 2009 08:00

elreynate08,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Handbrake and DVD43 decryption software could be the reason you are getting this error. Uninstall this software to see if that will resolve the issue.

May 9th, 2009 07:00

Thank you Jesse L.

Almost all of my problems have cleared up.

The only thing I'm still stuck with is Firefox causing my laptop to freeze.

Any suggestions with that?

- Thank you, ElReyNate08

5 Posts

August 5th, 2009 19:00

Hi EiReyNate08,

i am facing the same problem, please tel me the solution, its driving me crazy.i have dell xps m1330 with windows xp OS. my system never shuts down when connected to internet in my office. my observation is most of the time when i am connected to youtube , netflix in my home network my system shutsdown sometimes with error "the parameter is incorrect" and sometimes without any error.

regards,

Raghavendra

No Events found!