Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 7th, 2005 01:00

? re: Upgrading Dimension 4100 w/98SE to Win XP

I have a Dimension 4100 with Win98SE (never re-installed). I need to replace the hard drive and am considering upgrading to WinXP (clean install) rather than re-installing Win98SE.

I have read a couple posts suggesting that the 4100 is not "enough machine" for WinXP and to stay with Win98. My personal belief is that my Dimension 4100 with 512 MB of RAM, 64 MB m64 video card and new 100 MB Maxtor HD should handle XP quite comfortably and be "better than" 98SE.

I'd appreciate any user comments/experiences re: the above.

Also, will the "Product Recovery CD" supplied with my 4100 be sufficient to allow use of the UPGRADE WinXP version, rather than buying the full version?

Thanks in advance!

Marty

18.8K Posts

meggerss,

The 4100 is perfectly capable of running XP, particularly with your configuration. It would be prudent to update your BIOS to the latest avaiable prior to making the move. Your 98 reinstallation CD will work as proof of a qualifying operating sytsem so that you can do a clean install with an XP upgrade CD.

Check the XP upgrade advisor in advance as well, to make sure you don't have any surprises after you install XP. It is available here.

5 Posts

Denny - thanks. You are quick!

I do have the latest A11 BIOS.

I have read several of your posts on this subject and appreciate all the relevant links.

My first task is to get the new hard drive installed. I don't expect any problems, but do you have any good links with details?

Also, would it be a good idea to replace the system battery (never done) and clear NVRAM during the HD replacement?

Nice work - thanks again!

Marty

3K Posts

December 7th, 2005 02:00

@meggerss wrote:

Also, would it be a good idea to replace the system battery (never done) and clear NVRAM during the HD replacement?

Yes and yes.  Clear NVRAM after the drive replacement.
No Events found!