Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2015 01:00

re-install win 8 with dell official media, product key?

hi guys hope you can help, i have a pre-owned dell inspiron 15-3537 and i am trying to reset the windows 8 from the previous owner

when i try to reset OS through recovery settings it states there is a problem with recovery, insert windows 8 media and boot from DVD,

not a problem (or so i thought) i have a genuine dell windows 8 recovery disc yet when i try to install from said disc i am asked for a product key, why?

i believed that with genuine dell media i would not require one as have never before,

tried magical jellybean keyfinder yet the key it finds apparently does not work, how can i restore this laptop to factory without the product key? or is there any other way to recover the original product key?

or is there any reason why the dell media is asking for a product key?

any help would be highly appreciated

thanks

Glenn

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 8th, 2015 01:00

There were some issues with earlier Windows 8 and 8.1 media. Can you check your edition in system properties then download Windows 8.1 with Update 1 as a .iso and create installation media?

See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

2 Posts

February 9th, 2015 02:00

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!!

worked perfectly

Many thanks

Glenn

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 9th, 2015 04:00

Thanks for replying back to let us know you had a successful Windows installation.

No Events found!