Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2012 18:00

re-installing windows vista

Before I finally send this piece of junk back to Dell (minus the graphics card I had to replace thanks to their extraordinary poor customer service) can anyone help with this major pain in my computering side.

Almost two weeks ago my computer crashed mid-game causing me to restart, however windows vista refused to load just sat at the green bar loading screen. I managed to get hold of the hard drive and put it into another system and it seemed fine, so I brought a new hard drive (to avoid losing data) to install windows on thinking it would be easy using the disks dell provided. I was wrong. Vista gets so far and then gives up the ghost the message that "Windows setup could not continue installing windows due to hardware". I've ran checks on ram and all seems to be in order. I've tried following instructions for re-installion of windows but nothing seems to mention this and the error message appears either before or after the first installation.

Any help or advice on this would be a miracle. Like I've said I've been to hell and back with this system and this is turning to be the final straw and I certainly refuse to pay any extra for tech help considering the amount I've already paid.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 12th, 2012 07:00

I think you may have purchased an Advanced Format Hard Drive. See here.

You may need to load SATA drivers for the hard drive (see step 6. here)

Please tell me the model of the Dell and the model of the hard drive.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 12th, 2012 08:00

Try loading the SATA drivers to a USB from here.

Download the x86 for 32 bit and x64 for 64 bit version of windows. Extract the contents and save to a USB stick.

Attempt to load these during the Windows Setup as illustrated in step 8 of my guide here

August 12th, 2012 08:00

Yea sorry the model would help! It's a XPS 430

Everything is the same apart from the graphics card which is now a GeForce 9800GT PCI-E GDDR3 2xDVI-I 1GB Graphics Card which was purchased in April 2010

The new hard drive is a WD 1TB Green Desktop Drive and looking at the specs it an advanced format hard drive.

I have however managed to backup the important files on my original hard drive and I've formatted it but yet to try and re-install vista with the dell disc

August 12th, 2012 09:00

I've done as requested and tried it, all I get is "boot device not available".

I've used the usb device before to do something similar and it worked fine, it's also getting power from the usb slot so it is reading

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 12th, 2012 11:00

Does your Windows Vista DVD have Service Pack 1 included?

No Events found!