Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2008 14:00

reinstall xp home on dimension 4100

It looks like I have to reinstall xp home but when I went to the driver downloads for dimension 4100 it doesn't show xp. (Originally ran millenium and upgraded from an xp home disk I purchased. Could someone tell me the correct chipset driver to use. I cannot start my dimension. Thanks

3.2K Posts

July 30th, 2008 18:00

XP has all the drivers for devices that came on  the 4100 . . Did you update the BIOS to the XP version?

35 Posts

July 31st, 2008 16:00

You know, I don't think I did. If I remember correctly after the install a dell rep had me run the drivers and utilities disk that came with the computer and everthing just worked. That would explain why on the boot floppy I made after installing xp it says millenium with an A at the prompt. Could I ask you something else?

I have the ubuntu 7.10 disk from cononical. If I install that am I to understand that I won't need to install any drivers as the generic linux drivers are on the disk? Everthing I've read seems to indicate that ubuntu does well with the dimension 4100.    Thanks for your help!

3.2K Posts

July 31st, 2008 20:00

I have  no experience with Linux on a 4100 so can't answer . .

35 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 16:00

I wonder if you could tell me which is the correct boot order to reinstall. Right now I have:

AtAPI cdrom

ARMD FDD

Floppy

IDE HDD

disabled          Is IDE HDD the hard drive or is it ARMD FDD?     Thanks a million!

3.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2008 18:00

1  - ATAPI cdrom

2  -  IDE HDD

3  _  Floppy

After the install, reverse the first two

No Events found!