Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2010 16:00

reinstalling windows xp withpower cord only

OKAY this may sound crazy, but ive been putting off buying a new battery and running the computer off just the power cord. I need to reinstall windows and the computer shuts off after a certain point. is there any way I can reinstall with out having to buy a battery. This will put me back a week or so.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 21st, 2010 17:00

Always include the PC model in your posts. :emotion-5:

Just plug in the laptop's power supply and you can run forever! You don't have to run it on the battery. :emotion-5:

Ron

4 Posts

July 21st, 2010 18:00

Thanks Ron! I have a inspiron 1501 with xp home edition

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

July 21st, 2010 20:00

OKAY this may sound crazy, but ive been putting off buying a new battery and running the computer off just the power cord. I need to reinstall windows and the computer shuts off after a certain point. is there any way I can reinstall with out having to buy a battery. This will put me back a week or so.

If you are running the computer off just the power cord and the computer is shutting off, then you have a problem. Of course, this is assuming that the shutoff isn't part of the restart process that occurs during a Windows install.

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 12:00

Check the fan, I had a laptop recently do this and it was because the fan was so clogged with dust that it was overheating and shutting down.

No Events found!