missfe33
1 Nickel

reinstalling windows xp withpower cord only

OKAY this may sound crazy, but ive been putting off buying a new battery and running the computer off just the power cord. I need to reinstall windows and the computer shuts off after a certain point. is there any way I can reinstall with out having to buy a battery. This will put me back a week or so.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: reinstalling windows xp withpower cord only

Always include the PC model in your posts. emoticon.Wink.title

Just plug in the laptop's power supply and you can run forever! You don't have to run it on the battery. emoticon.Wink.title

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
missfe33
1 Nickel

Thanks Ron! I have a inspiron 1501 with xp home edition

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

OKAY this may sound crazy, but ive been putting off buying a new battery and running the computer off just the power cord. I need to reinstall windows and the computer shuts off after a certain point. is there any way I can reinstall with out having to buy a battery. This will put me back a week or so.

If you are running the computer off just the power cord and the computer is shutting off, then you have a problem. Of course, this is assuming that the shutoff isn't part of the restart process that occurs during a Windows install.

0 Kudos
RIUKev
1 Copper

Check the fan, I had a laptop recently do this and it was because the fan was so clogged with dust that it was overheating and shutting down.

0 Kudos