Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2005 23:00

reinstalling windows xp

i have inspiron 5160. turned it on and cant get windows to start up.  Called Dell techs-no one could help and they tried  everything...i put reinstall cd in and get same problem-just wont start. try to restore to factory  and it wont do it.  can anyone help?  should i consider buying a new xp install cd?
this computer was j ust purchased jan 2005.   thanks, sue

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 29th, 2005 00:00

Sue:

I think you're saying you already tried the PC Restore (CTRL F11) thing and it didn't work. Do you have a Windows XP Reinstallation disc? I know they stopped shipping them recently, so you may not have gotten one. If not, please call Dell and request that they send you an XP reinstallation disc and a drivers disc.

Your reinstall guide can be found HERE.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 29th, 2005 01:00

When you say "can't get Windows start up", do you mean nothing happens when you turn the power on, or it turns on but Windows won't boot?

If PC turns on and your Inspiron has Dell's diagnostics in a separate partition on the hard drive, try booting into diagnostics and run a full hardware test. If some hardware component failed, you might waste lots of time trying to reinstall XP on a dead PC. And if it won't run diagnostics, that's likely a sign of a major component failure, which should be covered under warranty.

Ron

6 Posts

June 29th, 2005 09:00

Ron,  with dell techs i ran all the diagnositcs and everything was ok. the computer does turn on but gets stuck at windows starting up. so i will call dell today and ask for windows disks.

6 Posts

June 29th, 2005 09:00

sounds like i need 2 discs, i have a reinstallation disk that does not  reinstall , it still gets stuck at windows xp logo screen and will go no  further.  i have no dics taht is labeled for xp driver.

i can even get the computer to restore to factory settings.

i got little satisfaction from dell support techs.

could i use an older windows xp reinstallation disk from a desktop i have?  it only has sp1 with it?

than i'd have to update online to sp2?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 29th, 2005 11:00

Please follow the link I provided to access your reinstall guide. Another installation guide with additional tips is available here. Read carefully and he'll explain how to ensure a clean installation:

http://www.djdenham.com/Install%20Procedures.htm

6 Posts

June 29th, 2005 13:00

thank you i will try this tonight when i get home from work....thanks  for the prompt  help...sue

6 Posts

June 29th, 2005 22:00

update!  i tried and could not reinstall ....so  a Dell tech called to see if my prob was resolved and he helped me eliminate problems and was successful in figuring out that it was my cd rom that was bad..  As soon as  i removed it the computer booted up just fine. So Dell is sending me a replacement cd rom...i think i'll be ok now...thanks again  this is a great site for help....Sue

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 29th, 2005 23:00

Good job, Sue. Kudos to the Dell tech that helped you work this out, too.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 30th, 2005 00:00

Sue,
Surprised the hardware diagnostics didn't find the problem CD-ROM, but glad it's solved without having to do a reinstall.

Follow up with Dell and make sure you get those Windows CDs, just in case ;)

Ron

6 Posts

June 30th, 2005 12:00

thanks i will stay on top of it  :smileywink:
No Events found!