Sterndogg02
2 Iron

Re: [ONE POSSIBLE SOLUTION] Re: show window contents while dragging

Also just uninstalled the Media Experience...fixed the problem. The volume icon in the taskbar still won't "stick" but can deal with that...still would like to know what problem is DELL!!!!
0 Kudos
Stevie_boy
1 Copper

Re: [ONE POSSIBLE SOLUTION] Re: show window contents while dragging

Hi there,

Yep i'd just like to say thanks for that tip. I was having exactly the same problem and uninstalling the Dell Media Experiance cured it.

Take note Dell....

Cheers mate,

Stevie_boy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sterndogg
1 Nickel

Re: show window contents while dragging

There's something in the Dell Audigy 2 software configuration that won't let the volume icon "stick" in the task pane. I ditched the OEM version (see Audio for various reasons why) and installed a retail Audigy 2 ZS (which kicks!!) Both volume controls are now present everytime on boot-up. While not a great solution, perhaps it isolates the problem.

0 Kudos
Geckoboy
1 Copper

Just another confirmation. I ordered a Dell Dimension 4600 and received it on monday 1/26/2004. Right out of the box, the "Show window contents while dragging" setting was not sticking.

After a brief search on the internet, I discovered this forum. Lo and Behold, after uninstalling the Dell Media Experience, The setting now sticks.

Add me to this list..
0 Kudos
jmk1986
1 Nickel

ive been having the same problem, but heres what  ive done, seems to of worked for me.

i havent uninstalled Dell Media experience. instead, go to the start menu, and select "run..." type in msconfig and hit the enter button. on the System Configuration Utility, select the "Startup" tab. UNSELECT "PCMSerivce" (the command is "C:\program files\dell\media experiance\pcmservice.exe") than click on the "OK" button. A little box will pop-up asking you to either restart or restart later, make either choice. Log off the screen name, and when you log back on, the "show window contents while dragging" will stay on. If not, reselect the option "show window contents" option, log bacl off user, log back on. if that doesnt solve it, i dont know, just uninstall it.

System Info:
Dimension 4600i Pentium 4 2.6GHz Hyper-Threaded 800-MHz FSB, 512 RAM, 40GB Maxtor 6E040L0 IDE Hard Drive, Windows XP Home SP1, DVD-ROM (16x), 3.5inch floppy drive (impressive, lol), Integrated Video, Integrated Sound, 56K Fax modem, Intel 10/100 PRO Network (Integrated), Norton Internet Security 2004, and a lot of other boring stuff, like my M782 flat-screen monitor (on #2 btw) that isnt right.

0 Kudos
DELL-Karell
4 Germanium

To All,

I just inherited this board, so forgive the late response.
The Dell Media Experience software automatically disables the "Show windows content..." option because having that option enabled could cause video corruption.
So, when you have the DME software installed, that option will be disabled by default.
You can try stopping the DME software in MSCONFIG like "JMK" suggested, or you can simply
uninstall the DME software.
The "Show Window Contents While Dragging" option has been shown to cause video corruption on various systems depending on what other software or hardware may be installed.
That is the reason it was decided to disable this option when using the DME software.
0 Kudos
rwolman
1 Copper

Dear Dell Moderator,

Thanks for finally letting us know about this issue.  I have to say that it caused me TREMENDOUS grief.  I ended up re-installing the operating system because of this issue.  I'm happy that it wasn't actually a software bug.

Regards,
Ralph

0 Kudos
Geckoboy
1 Copper

I dont see how the "Show window contents.." option would cause video corruption, especially since it looked to me that the "Dell Media Experience" software took up the full screen, not allowing any windows to be dragged.  (I uninstalled it shortly after seeing this forum, so I didn't really play around with the DME).

Can't Dell just put code in to disable the "Show window contents.." feature while the DME is launched, and to restore it when the user exits out of it?

0 Kudos
DELL-Karell
4 Germanium

Geckoboy,

That is a good question, but I'm not a programmer so I don't if I can be done.
What information I do know, is that during initial testing of the DME software, it
was shown that video corruption would occur if the "Show Window Content...." setting was
enabled. So, it was decided to turn this feature off when the DME software is installed.
I will pass the suggestion on to my engineer contact, and if Dell decides to try and implement
it, I would figure it may be in a patch or next release of the DME software.
But, this is in no way a guarantee that the suggestion will be implement or that Dell will even act on it.
I will simply pass on the good suggestion.
0 Kudos
Oddy-One
1 Copper

Hi all,

i have some similar problems with my Latitude D600, when Show window content while dragging is enabled i can't see any icons while i drag them. I read some similar topics but didn't find a working solution. I don't have DME installed on the box so this can't be the thing (or is DME now included in any other software).

could anybody help me please

thanks

0 Kudos