Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

October 13th, 2008 19:00

sprtcmd.exe

I have the same problem with Dell's sprtcmd.exe box popups up at shutdown. This freezes my computer so I have to shut down manually. I have followed the tips and unchecked the program at startup, but it reinstalls itself. Dells needs to fix this nuisance pronto.

October 14th, 2008 12:00

Hi Orangewillie,

I'm having the same issue and share your irritation.

Thanks for letting me know about the auto reinstall - you've saved me the wasted effort of removing it from the startup.

How do we find out when the fix will be put in place?

DD

1 Message

November 8th, 2008 19:00

I am having the same problem...help!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi Guys,

This is a known issue related to the Dell Support Center. I'm having trouble searching the new Dell Forums for the resolution, but below is a link to some posts with the same problem on the old Dell Forums.

http://old.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/search?ticket=aLpCIST_fHzm_-1&submitted=true&q=sprtcmd.exe

Best of luck.

EDIT: This thread HERE seems to have the most info available, look out for posts by Baywolf.

387 Posts

Hi all. I wrote up something earlier that includes unchecking some of the other associated files as well. If someone can try this and let me know if it works that would be appreciated. This is a possible solution if you are thinking about uninstalling Support Center.

Another solution that was posted in another thread by Alexandra_P is this link. This one looks like a fix if you want to keep Support Center. Apparently it is a common issue when using Windows XP.

4.4K Posts

November 8th, 2008 20:00

To remove Dell Support from startup:
Right-click the Dell Support icon in your tray, and select Dell Support Settings
Un-check "Run on Windows startup"> apply

To remove Dell Support Center from startup:
Start> Run
Type in msconfig.exe
click OK
Go to Startup tab
Uncheck the dsca box
Click the OK > Restart

Once it is disabled, reboot and then delete the program.  It is causing problems for a lot of people.  Let them fix the issues before reinstalling it.

387 Posts

November 8th, 2008 21:00

To remove Dell Support from startup:
Right-click the Dell Support icon in your tray, and select Dell Support Settings
Un-check "Run on Windows startup"> apply

Unfortunately, Bay Wolf, this option is not available in Version 2.2.8100 (newest DSC version). Apparently someone decided that everyone wants to run the Dell Support Center at startup and removed that option. I seem to remember seeing it in an earlier version though.

Once it is disabled, reboot and then delete the program.  It is causing problems for a lot of people.  Let them fix the issues before reinstalling it.

My personal preference here is to disable Support Center, install the updated .NET Framework and then reenable Support Center using MSConfig but that's the great thing about Windows, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same goal. To be honest, my actual preference is to uninstall Support Center altogether and leave it off.

4.4K Posts

November 8th, 2008 22:00

The answer that I gave was the official answer from Dell regarding this Issie.

I recommend that everyone uninstall this program.  It really is not worth the trouble of having it.

387 Posts

November 10th, 2008 12:00

I recommend that everyone uninstall this program.  It really is not worth the trouble of having it.

I completely agree with this, Bay Wolf. :emotion-1: I installed it to help someone on the forums but it isn't going to be a permanent fixture on my system. When I worked tech support for one of the ISPs they had an Installation Wizard that was equally as useful as DSC. The recommendation on that one was to uninstall it as well.

1.7K Posts

November 13th, 2008 12:00

The fix for this particular error is to install the .NET Framerwork version 2.0.

No Events found!