Windows General

Last reply by 09-24-2009 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
Not applicable

starting computer...following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Inspiron B130 WindowsXP home edition... This message appears when I turn on my laptop...following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. I have tried using the Windows OS disk that came with the computer when rebooting, and nothing happens. The disk isn't being recognized, and the same error message appears again. Not sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply (1)
4 Beryllium

Not sure if you want to do a XP Repair Install or Clean Install but can you confirm that:

1. You are definitely using the Dell OEM XP CD that was supplied with computer purchase

2. You did the following:

Power on computer, open CD-ROM drive & insert correct Dell OEM XP CD

Close CD-ROM drive then reboot

During boot loading either press F12 & select CD-ROM drive, if not available then reboot again

This time press F2 key to enter System Setup (BIOS) settings & navigate to Boot Sequence Order

Then select/move the CD-ROM drive to first boot device (position 1)

Exit save BIOS settings

When computer reboots look for the screen prompt “press any key to boot to CD-ROM

If you don’t press a key the computer will try to reboot to Windows & result in same error message

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor