Windows General

Last reply by 09-17-2009 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
Not applicable

stuck....restoring factory settings on a inspiron e1705

I am attemping to restore the factory setting on a friends dell.  I went to the control F11 menu, selected to restore the factory settings...the process began and now is loading, but the screen has been the same for 12 hours now and i don't know what step to take next or why the progress stopped.  The screen as it is now says: 

PBR 1...done

Loading DRMK Version 8.00....

any suggestions would be much appreciated

Reply (1)

Your friend's computer has been restored, but following that restoration the computer is supposed to boot to a utility in the first partition that leads through the registration process.  For some reason this has gotten "stuck" and is refusing to boot.

The only way I know to correct this is to use a partition editor to mark the second partition active.  More information on how the Dell Restore partition works can be found in Dan Goodell's treatise found here:  Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition.  It's very comprehensive, so you may need to dig a bit to learn how the partitions get set, but the only other thing you can do is a clean installation of the operating system and any applications that are needed.

Dell Forum member since 2005

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions