Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2004 03:00

svchost.exe - Application Error

Please HELP!!!... On my Dimension 4600 any time I touch any application I have the same error message "svchost.exe - Application Error,  The instruction at "0x009a96bc" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".  Click on OK to terminate the program, Click on CANCEL to debug the program".  When this error message appear the systems remained freezed for a moment. I get this situation over and aver and over &*%$#@. I'm very frustrated! PLEASE HELP ME!!!. 

3 Posts

December 17th, 2004 03:00

Did you recently install something in your computer?

Hardware (like memory) or programs?

5 Posts

December 17th, 2004 19:00

Thanks asheron34 for your respond. Yes I Installed ATI video card (All in Wonder 9600) but I star experiment that problem way back; mater of fact I experiencing the same error message with my other two computer in my home, another DELL 4100 including my new laptop Toshiba satellite M35 with Centrino processor. I think that all my problem start after I upgrade with Windows XP Services pack 2. I Try to uninstall it in one of my computer but I have to reinstall again because another problems arrived.

I hope this information bring some light to you in my HELP.

Thanks again for your concern.

Regards,

Lanu2004

5 Posts

December 18th, 2004 06:00

Thanks asheron34 for your respond. Yes I Installed ATI video card (All in Wonder 9600) but I star experiment that problem way back; mater of fact I experiencing the same error message with my other two computer in my home, another DELL 4100 including my new laptop Toshiba satellite M35 with Centrino processor. I think that all my problem start after I upgrade with Windows XP Services pack 2. I Try to uninstall it in one of my computer but I have to reinstall again because another problems arrived.

I hope this information bring some light to you in my HELP.

Thanks again for your concern.

Regards,

Lanu2004

2 Posts

December 18th, 2004 12:00

Hello lanu2004. I am having the same problems as you! Frustrating is not the word for it. I have also tried uninstalling with same results. It seems all of my problems started when I installed my new HP 2500 series printer and software. Have you received a fix for your problem yet? I would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks

geezer04

1.4K Posts

December 18th, 2004 21:00

See if this helps from another forum regarding HP printers and that problem:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=749972

Look for this header:

Dec 2, 2004 09:35:47 GMT   N/A: Question Author

And the workaround after this text:

"HP and Microsoft are working on the issues arising after installing SP2
and soon HP would be releasing Update patch to resolve the issue."

5 Posts

December 19th, 2004 03:00

Hi geezer04, based on your comment; yes! I bought a new HP Oficeject 7410 All in One and by coincidence all my three computers (2 desktop & 1 laptop) are connected in wireless network and every one have the same problem. Thank you for your concern and support.

I hope to find a solution for this problem.

Thanks

Lanu2004

5 Posts

December 19th, 2004 03:00

@asheron34 wrote:

Did you recently install something in your computer?

Hardware (like memory) or programs?

yes! just I bought a new HP Oficeject 7410 All in One and by coincidence all my three computers (2 destop & 1 laptop) are connected in wireless network and every one have the same problem. Do you have any subjection based on it?

Asheron34 thank you again!

Regards,

Lanu2004

2 Posts

December 19th, 2004 21:00

Lanu2004 I think we are getting somewhere now because your problem is identical to mine. I recently added HP 2510 wireless printer to my network and all 4 of my computers are in a funk. I have been working on it for 4 days but if I find a solution I will let you know.

Thanks for the heads up!!

geezer04

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2005 05:00

My office consists of two computers (one running XP Pro and the other 2000 Pro) and a HP 7410 wireless All-in-One Printer. I use a Lynksys wireless system. The system worked flawlessly since I installed it a few months ago.

After installing Yahoo instant messenger a few days ago, I used the anti-spyware feature and mistakenly deleted backweb.

Today I noticed that neither computer had access to the lynksys wireless router. I rebooted my XP system and received a backweb error. (this is now fixed).

I rebooted the 2000 computer and it reccected to the lynksys wireless router. I decided to upgrade all service patches on the XP system including SP2. I then started getting both backweb svchost.exe Applicaiton Error experienced on this thread and another Windows data management errors.

After installing SP2 the system shows that my wireless connection is connected, but I can no longer connect to the wireless router through the wireless network. I can only connect by using a network cable. It seems that I can always recreate the error by opening the browser. The first time I open a broswer I can connect to yahoo which is my home page. I can then navigate inside this browser page. When I open another instance of explorer my computer hangs and I eventually get the svchost error. My general performance is much slower, yet my processor is about 5% active and my memory usage is very low.

I found the error with backweb was related to Logitech Desktop Manager. I suspected that this was the root of the svchost error. After reinstalling Logitech Messenger I found that this did not fix the svchost error. I then ran anti-virus programs and anti-spyware programs, the usual. No luck.

I finally found this thread and it is quite a coincidence that I too have a HP 7410. I have always experienced a problem with HP utilities when I shut down my system. HP programs would not exit normally on shut down, but this did not pose a problem and I ignored it.

I have looked all over the internet and could not find much help. I hope this comiseration is somewhat helpful and that someone better then I finds the solution.

1 Message

February 16th, 2005 03:00

I have the same error and I am also running sp2 with the HP Photosmart 2710 all in one wireless printer. I have a d-link wireless. Have you checked the HP boards?

2 Posts

February 16th, 2005 13:00

Scott,

There have been some good answers on this thread. My problem was solved by disabling WIA service. There are step by step instructions on this thread. By the way, thank you to all who have posted the fix.

Perform these steps to disable WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service:

1. Click Start->Control Panel.
2. Select and Double Click Administrative Tools.
3. Double Click Services.
4. From the Services Window, Locate and Double Click Windows
Image Acquisition (WIA).
5. From the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) properties, select
Startup type under General Tab and select Disabled from the
drop down list.
6. Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
7. Restart the Computer.

If the issue persists, Please follow the steps below:

If your computer is set to apply DEP to all programs and services, the
DEP error message will have a Change Settings button. If an update to
the program is not available, follow these steps to add an exception for
the program from the DEP error message:

1. When you receive the error message that is mentioned in the
"Symptoms" section, click Change Settings.
2. Click to select the check box next to the program, and then click
Apply.
3. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK two times,
and then restart your system.

You can also add an exception for the program by using System Properties
in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click
Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click the Advanced tab, click Performance, and then click Settings.
3. In Performance Options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and
then click Add.
4. In the Open dialog box, locate and then click the program.
5. Click Open, click Apply, and then click OK. When you are prompted to
restart your computer, click OK.

I hope this helps,

John

1 Message

February 25th, 2005 13:00

I too had some experiences with slow performance, slow boots and browsing problems.

I applied the HP patch for DEP as I have an HP 2710 all in one.  The DEP alerts went away.  However, I did also download an MS update for 'malicious' JPG/images.  This caused the slow performance when opening up "My Computer", opening IE, etc.

I disabled the WIA through msconfig for a selective startup.  Sure, it's ok and I'll end up disabling it but...  my Axim doesn't sync anymore.
No Events found!