wind_arc
1 Copper

upgrade or full?

I was thinking about buying windows 7 but from what i can tell on the page it makes think what's the differance between the upgrade or full version.Can some one please answer this 'cause it's confusing.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dallascowboyswo
4 Ruthenium

Re: upgrade or full?

If you buy the upgrade version you must have a previous copy ot XP or Vista installed on your computer to load it. If you buy the full version no previous Operating system is needed and you can do a clean install of Windows 7.

Sam

Own: Dell Chromebook 11, Alienware M11xR2

Forum Member since 2004

"If your issue was resolved, please click  Yes ".

#idoNOTwork4Dell

0 Kudos
Xelkos
3 Argentium

Both the 32 bit and the 64 bit OS are on the Windows 7 media now.

If you upgrade from Vista (32 bit) , it will only upgrade to Windows 7 (32 bit). Same for Vista (64 bit), it will upgrade to Windows 7 (64 bit).
Cannot go from a Vista (32 bit) to a Win7 (64 bit), or vice versa. (It's been asked a lot in other forums.)

So the upgrade means it needs a previous version of Vista installed to upgrade  to Windows 7.

* In theory, you could image your Vista Installation with True Image or Ghost, and upgrade to Windows 7, then recover the Vista partition to another partition or hard drive, use a boot manager program editor, and boot both OS'.

The alternate is to purchase the full version and install where and how you want without the hassle.

XPS 630i Intel Core² (Wolfdale) 3.0 GHz; BIOS: 1.0.13; 4 GB DDR2 @ 800 MHz;
Hard Drives: 320 GB, NCQ Western Digital; 640 GB, Seagate;
Optical Drives: 48x Combo CD-RW; 16x DVD+/-RW; Creative X-Fi PCI Sound;
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT w/ 512 MB; 19 in 1 Media Reader w/ Bluetooth;
Windows 7, 64-Bit (Primary), c/b Vista 32-Bit, 32 Bit (OEM); 2.4/5 GHz Wireless 1505 PCIe WLAN

0 Kudos
wind_arc
1 Copper

So then i have to have the full version to do a clean install on windos xp.Is that right? or will the upgrade do the same thing?

0 Kudos
wind_arc
1 Copper

never mind, i found out that even the the upgrade version of windows 7 will do a clean install on windows xp computer.

0 Kudos