Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 3rd, 2008 06:00

upgrading to vista

now i didnt really see any other topic like this or a FAQ about this, but i keep running into a problem while trying to upgrade my computer to vista.

i have the dics it takes to upgrade to vista ( atleast i beleive its all the discs i need ). one is black and says 'insert this disc first' - ' this dvd will prepare your system and guide you through the windows vista upgrade process' . disc 2. says ' windows vista home basic express upgrade', those are the 2 discs i have and i beleive those are the 2 discs needed tp upgrade. now the main problem i am running into, is my 2 cd drives are not reading the disc, in my normal cd drive, it keeps saying 'please insert cd', on my other cd drive which is dvd compatable, i am able to click on it, and open a blank folder.

so i thought that maybe it works the same way i had to reinstall my windows program and have it run on the start up of my computer, which ended up going to a blank black screen while my cd drive kept trying to read the disc in it, but wouldnt go any farther.

now im not sure what exactly is wrong, whether it is my cd drives ( which seems to work perfectly on everything else ), or the discs itself, now the disc are HP discs made for my HP compac laptop, which i would like vista on my desktop. i dont know if it matters that the discs are HP, rather then actual Dell discs. and whether or not im doing something wrong or will have to buy all new discs.

any one got a idea? 

808 Posts

May 3rd, 2008 10:00

I got one, if they are OEM disk for HP, then it won't work well on Dell's. So go out and buy a copy of Vista. And stay away from Home Basic, I have heard nothing good about it. Go for Home Premium or Ultimate. And what kind of Dell computer are you trying to install it on?

May 3rd, 2008 15:00

I would highly recommend seeking advice before upgrading to Vista. Unless it's a very new system with plenty of RAM I would have to discourage you from doing so.

Post back with the complete specs of your system.

Col

No Events found!