Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2010 10:00

windows installer error re: Dell Resource CD error code1706

Have a Dell XPS 400 running XP Media Center, sp3. On boot up a pop up indicates Windows Installer is attempting to configure the Dell Resource CD. It fails and produces an error message 1706. "No valid source could be found for product Dell Resource CD. The Windows Installer cannot continue"(this happens regardless whether the resource cd is in the drive or not). On examination of the event logs I find the following "information", "warning" and "error" involving MsiInstaller: "detection of product {FCD9CD52-7222-4672-94A0-A722BA702FD0} feature 'main app' component {ACC371A7-F7AA-403D-863E-8AE9BE1E2228}failed. The resource "c:\program files\dell\resource cd\ does not exist." The above product {FCD9CD . . . ect.} is found in the registry at HKey_Local Machine\Software\Installer\products and the info there indicates the product name is "Dell Resource CD." In the control panel Add/Remove directory there is an entry for Dell Resource CD. I have downloaded the Microsoft Windows Installer cleanup utility (but haven't run it yet). My system is running wonderfully except for the aforementioned nuisance. I realize the Resource CD contains the original drivers. Will the drivers be removed if I either (1) uninstall the Dell resource CD from add/remove; or (2) removing it with the Clean up tool? Should one of these options solve the error problem?

On a separate note, under C:\Dell\Drivers I have 21 files taking up 500MB of space. Can these be safely removed if I retain the Resource CD?

As a novice, I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

11 Posts

March 27th, 2010 16:00

Thank you!  I used the add/remove from the control panel to remove Dell Resource CD from installed programs.  After I have rebooted several times and the annoying windows installer errors have disappeared.  Also, thanks for the advice concerning the C:\Dell|Drivers folder. 

2.6K Posts

March 27th, 2010 12:00

Yes, you can safely remove the Dell Resource CD entry.     It's just there so the scan routine will auto-run when you insert the disk in the drive.  The actual drivers themselves are completely separate applications.   After the Resource CD entry is removed, if you put the Resource CD back in the drive it  will reinstall itself anyway.

As for why it's popping up - apparently it's getting tangled up with another program that auto-starts with your PC.

As for the folder:  When you install most drivers from Dell they extract first, then run the installation routine.   C:\Dell\Drivers is the default location for extraction.    If you remove those files, at minimum you may not be able to uninstall them if necessary, and at worst you'll remove the driver itself.  Leave them alone.

No Events found!