Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2008 13:00

windows installer

I don't have enought disk space on my laptop. When I go into remove programs I get windows installer service could not be accessed. Windows installer is not installed correctly. Could somene please advice me on how I can correct this problem.

Thanks,

Lee

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

You should give more details--why do you think that you are running out of disk space? What model computer and which operating system? It's hard to answer without more facts. You can research this at the MS site. Start with this article.

3rd try

6 Posts

When I try to install  a program running low on disk space. I get an error message stating I need 200 gb of free space.  When I tried to install hp software it said I needed 70.5 gb of free sapce. My operating system is windows xp. my model computer is dell xps m140.

Thanks,

Lee

4.6K Posts

December 14th, 2008 17:00

If you don't have enough hard drive space left on your hard drive, there's little point in trying to install any more software?

How much hard drive space do you actually have left?

Anyway... re the Windows Installer problem;  Try downloading/reinstalling the Windows Installer.

Reboot the system after you've done so, then try doing whatever it was you were trying to do before, again?

6 Posts

December 15th, 2008 08:00

I resloved the windows installer issue. I have 467 mb of free space. I have done eveything possible under the sun to try and free up some space.

I went in to delete  files and remove some program. I went into add remove programs. even when removing programs I did not need.. I am at my wits end. There are porgrams which I removed that I have not used. I went into system tools and did a disk clean up still nothing. I need at 200mb of free space. Any suggestion on how to free up more space on my harddrive would be helpful. MY cd-rom drive no longer exisits. When I try to restore from a previous date it won't even let me do that. Again, any help would be appreciated, any questions you need answered to help me with this problem, I can do. I have a dell laptop XPS m140 with windows xp installed. MY hdd is 60gb.

Thanks,

Lee

4.6K Posts

December 15th, 2008 10:00

Other than uninstalling more programs, and checking for/getting rid of any temporary files, I'm afraid there's not much else you can do - other than buying a larger capacity replacement drive.

I recommend using a program called CCleaner to check for/get rid of temporary/junk files.

No Events found!