Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2008 18:00

windows xp home edition backup utility

My dell laptop came with windows xp home edition - without a backup utility and no bacup cd rom.

How do I backup my docs to an external device (flash drive)? 

jadust

2.1K Posts

August 9th, 2008 18:00

If I understand your post correctly, you have to create and name a folder on the flash drive, then with it still plugged in, open Windows Explorer, right click on your saved docs folder contents, then click "copy" then paste the content to the folder you created on the flash drive.

4 Posts

August 9th, 2008 19:00

Do I have to copy and paste item by item from my docs - or is there a way I can copy and paste the entire contents of my docs in one step?

2.1K Posts

August 9th, 2008 21:00

You can copy the entire contents by placing the cursor at the end (far right) of the first line entry, then press and hold the right mouse button and drag down to the last entry and then to the left to high light everything, then press the right mouse button again and click Save. Then go to the folder you created on the flash drive, right click on it and press "copy".

28K Posts

While in the folder, hit Cntrl-A to select all files.   Alternatively move the curse to the first file in the folder, then hold the shift key and move the cursor to the last file in the folder.  It will select everything in between.   Or, to select a bunch of files, move the cursor to one file to select it, then hold the cntrl key while you move to each of the other files you want to select.

Steve

4 Posts

When I hold the right mouse button and drag it MOVES the file - I cannot right button hold and drag to highlight multiple files.  Is there something I can do to make it possible for me to hold, drag and highlight multiple files in my docs??

jadust

4 Posts

August 9th, 2008 22:00

HOORAY!  The only method that worked was using the control key while moving the cursor over the files actually did HIGHLIGHTED the files.  Finally.  The rest was easy.  THANK YOU!

jadust

No Events found!