Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2009 06:00

windows xp home edition download for an Inspiron 600m

Need some assistance.  I recently reformated my 2004 Inspiron 600m because it had a facebook virus.  I did not have the original software for the laptop so I installed Windows XP Media Edition that was provided witth my Dell Dimension E310.  Since then, the laptop runs extremely slow during start up and after.  Is this because I am not running the correct OS for the laptop?  If so, what is the best way to obtain the correct OS / install it.  As well, the dell download site for the Inspiron lists recommended and optional driver downloads.  As I understand it, order for reformating is OS, chipsets, then drivers.  Is that correct?  If so, what are the correct downloads for the Inspiron 600m; the dell download site seems inconclusive on that based on only recommended or optional downloads. 

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 5th, 2009 08:00

Order the correct disks by filling out the form HERE. You must be the original owner and in the US. The only way you could use the other computer's disk is if they had the exact same version of XP. 

9 Posts

December 15th, 2009 04:00

thank you very much for the help.  disks came, all installed, but i have run into a snag.  i seriously don't understand why this happens with a reformating of the harddrive.  i understand the priority goes OS, chipsets, drivers.  Are the chipsets part of the OS re-install disk?  if not, do you know which ones are needed for the Inspiron 600m?  as well, i am getting yellow question marks with exclamations under other devices for the ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, network controller, pci modem, and video controller.  i know they all require the drivers, but I can't get my wireless card to activate or even see it as an icon on my desktop banner.  Any assistance would be tremendous.  Thanks and enjoy your holidays.

No Events found!