tecrowley
2 Bronze

wireless card function on 32-bit & 64-bit Win7 OS

I'm planning to upgrade my DELL Inspiron 1318 notebook from Win Vista (32-bit)  to Win 7. It has a DELL 1395 WLAN wireless card. The Win 7 Upgrade Advisor says the WLAN card is not compatible with the 32-bit Win 7 but is compatible with the 64-bit version. This seems suspicious since it works with 32-bit Win Vista. Can anyone explain why the Advisor gave this result?

ThomasC
0 Kudos
2 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: wireless card function on 32-bit & 64-bit Win7 OS

The Dell drivers only show Vista 32 bit drivers for this wireless card.  Dell supports Windows 7 64 bit but there are no WLAN cards/drivers listed.  The Win 7 advisor is correct.  You will have to use a different wireless interface with Win 7.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
WinOutreach5
1 Copper

Re: wireless card function on 32-bit & 64-bit Win7 OS

Hi,

It may be possible to install the Dell 1395 WLAN wireless card in compatibility mode due to the fact that a Windows Vista 32-bit driver does exist. In many cases, Windows Vista 32-bit drivers can be used to install hardware within Windows 7 in situations where a Windows 7 driver does not yet exist.

The Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard drivers for both Windows Vista 32-bit and Windows Vista 64-bit can be found here.

For your convenience I have included the instructions for Compatibility Hardware Device Drivers by Microsoft MVP, Ronnie Vernon, from the TechNet forums:

COMPATIBILITY HARDWARE DEVICE DRIVERS:

1. Place the driver installation file on the Desktop.

2. Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select the appropriate options in from the list. In your case, you would select Windows Vista.

3. Click Apply/OK.

4. Right Click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro

0 Kudos