Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 3rd, 2010 10:00

wont read key strokes.

i was having problems with my disk drivers and while doing some online research i was able to fix them by going into regedit and changing some settings. unfortunately i think i may have caused a problem with computer reading my keystrokes on my keyboard. I have a Dell  Dimension E510. I have tried everything to fix the problem. it is not driver related as device manager recognizes what type of keyboard i am using and my mouse works fine (they are both logitech  wireless usb plug and play but i did install them along with the correct drivers). The function keys along with the secondary keys (volume control, calculator) register but i can type anything. i have done multiple virus scans with as many as 4 different virus scans programs to detect any type of malware but have not found current problems. System restore is not an option because i cant type my password into to user account. Just looking for ideas on what might be wrong and how i can fix it. thanks.

January 4th, 2010 07:00

should i just reinstall windows xp os? is there anything i should know before i try it?

January 4th, 2010 09:00

"USB Mouse and Keyboard not working in windows? Hello everyone, I came across this forum and decided to try my question here. It seems to be unanswerable for a lot of people but I'll give you guys a shot.

I have a dell dimension 9150 running windows xp and here is my problem
-First off the computer has no ps/2 connectors
-I start my computer with the mouse and keyboard plugged into the usb ports, it works outside of windows (F2 to get into the bios, F8 to do a safe start, I can move around in them with the keyboard)
-I get into windows and the mouse and keyboard don't work at all, I can't navigate anywhere
-I unplug the keyboard and mouse and restart and plug them in when windows is loaded it says it loaded the drivers, and since I have an optical mouse I know it's getting power, but it's not working at all.
-I've tried every USB port on there and I get nothing
-I plug in my Creative Zen Vision:M and it starts charging and the quick open window opens up but I can't select anything because the keyboard and mouse aren't working
-I get power to my flash drive but can't do anything because once again the keyboard and mouse

Before all this trouble I was having troubles with my dvd burner and came across a fix for my problems, or so I thought, using regedit, these were the instructions
In the Open box, type Regedit, and then click OK.
Click the plus sign (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Click the plus sign (+) next to SYSTEM.
Click the plus sign (+) next to CurrentControlSet.
Click the plus sign (+) next to Control.
Click the plus sign (+) next to Class.
Click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
On the right hand side of the window, click UpperFilters.
Click Edit on the menu bar.
Click Delete, and then click OK.
On the right-hand side of the window, click LowerFilters.
Click Edit on the menu bar.
Click Delete, and then click OK.
Click File, and then click Exit.
Restart the computer normally.

To my surprise there were about 15 different "4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318" in there so I went to all the Upper filters and deleted them (I don't remember the names, there were 3 upper and 3 lower)
I restarted the computer and now here I am with this delema.

once this happened I tried rebooting in safe mode, I tried last known good configuration, and I even had a tuneup utilities backup that I made about a year ago that I decided to try out. None of which helped. I've tried everything in the bios (which is barely tweakable on a dell). I even restored the bios settings to factory default. And still nothings

My ideas at the moment from reading around are to
1. Buy a new USB card, but it doesn't look like they're interchangable, and if I needed a new one why would things be read through the usb but the keyboard and mouse still don't work?
2. Buy an external HDD case for an SATA hard drive, take it out of the computer with the problems, hook it up to the usb on this old computer and try to fix the registry (somehow) that way.
3. This is a very last option that I really don't want to have to do, but reinstall windows (don't know if you can do it without being able to navigate windows anyway). I have a couple files on there I can't risk losing (but I guess I'll have to if it's the last option there is)

Any help, ideas, or anything would be greatly appreciated. I hope I gave enough info for this to be answered."

thats almost exactly what i did and tried the suggestion in the link below  but it didnt work. Any other advice along this lines?

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=241823&messageID=3177558&tag=content;leftCol

No Events found!