Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2020 09:00

Best laptop dock for graphics and CAD

Hello,

I bought a D6000 dock for my 15" HP Spectre x360. Works as advertised, except the second monitor is now useless for graphics and AutoCad. There was a thread about this back in 2018 where the solution seemed to be the TB-16 because it took the output from the GPU directly instead of via DisplayLink.

Before I send the D6000 back and buy a TB-16, is there a newer Thunderbolt dock that would offer the same solution (i.e. not using DisplayLink) so I can use Autocad and Adobe CC on my second monitor? I see that TB-16 is no longer on the Dell website, but it is available through Amazon.

Thanks for any advice (except advice that involves replacing my Spectre, which I love!!) 

5 Posts

July 5th, 2020 06:00

Well, it works! HP Thunderbolt dock now driving the Pavilion monitor. Autocad running smoothly and behaving impeccably. Also doing background work in Bluebeam Revu, Sketchup, Photoshop, and InDesign. No issues at all. Happy HP user here!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 18th, 2020 12:00

@JamesMT  The TB16 has been replaced by the WD19TB.  I would have expected fellow Rockstar @Mary G  to know that since it was released about a year ago.  The TB16 had more than its fair share of issues, and the WD19TB doesn't seem to be generating nearly as many complaints.  And since you're using a non-Dell system, the WD19TB can now supply up to 90W to attached non-Dell systems, up from the 60W max of the TB16 (and the D6000 for that matter).  However, if you're using an HP system, have you considered HP's own Thunderbolt dock offerings?  You might gain some additional capabilities, such as the ability to use a Power button built into the dock in order to power the system on from shutdown, i.e. without having to open the lid and use the Power button on the system itself.  And of course in the tech world, the fact that certain devices SHOULD work together doesn't always mean that they WILL.  So matching your dock and laptop brand might be worth considering.

What resolution(s) are your displays running, by the way?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

June 18th, 2020 12:00

If it is no longer on the Dell site the Amazon posting is by a private reseller and is most likely used or overstock or refurbished. Amazon is a marketplace now just like Ebay. You will not be eligible for any warranty from Dell. The listing says-- Sold by DeluxeDeals

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2020 14:00

Thanks for the response!

The external display is an HP Pavilion 27q, with 2560 x 1440 resolution. Works perfectly with the HDMI port on the Spectre. I have Autocad drafting window on the monitor, and the tool palettes on the laptop. But it's useless when connected to the D6000.

I took your advice and bought an HP Thunderbolt dock. Hoping it will allow the laptop's GPU to drive the external monitor directly, instead of via DisplayLink or equivalent.

As it happens, I needed a dock for another laptop in the office, which is used for bookkeeping. So the D6000 won't go to waste.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 22nd, 2020 15:00

@JamesMT  Happy to help!  If you bought the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, I can't find any indication that it incorporates the DisplayLink technology that causes the D6000 not to be suitable for your work.  It seems to rely on DisplayPort Alt Mode.  And actually it would be very strange for any Thunderbolt-based dock to rely on DisplayLink.  The main reason to use DisplayLink is to allow video output as regular USB data specifically to support systems that either don't have a USB-C port that supports video output, or don't have a USB-C port at all (i.e. only have a USB-A "regular USB" port).  But the Thunderbolt 3 standard mandates support for DisplayPort Alt Mode.  In any case, a single QHD display is no problem at all for a Thunderbolt 3 dock, so you should be good to go!

June 22nd, 2020 20:00

is this something good for designing work I have to use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop frequently. 

Please confirm.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 22nd, 2020 20:00

@zahratalmadina Any dock that taps into native GPU outputs -- which is most docks -- would be fine for design work because those docks would be functionally equivalent to connecting the display directly to a display output built into the laptop itself (except possibly from a bandwidth perspective depending on the dock and built-in display output you'd be comparing against, but that would just affect the display setups you can run, not how a given display setup would perform.)

5 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 07:00

I'll let you all know how it goes - my HP Thunderbolt dock is supposed to arrive today.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 5th, 2020 08:00

Thanks for reporting back, and glad to hear things are working better.

July 19th, 2020 07:00

I need something for video editing. Is this one effective for video editing?

No Events found!