Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2015 08:00

WDM 4.8 Installation Problems

WDM 4.8 Installation Problems

Trying to install WDM 4.8 on a existing server. Server is 2008 R2 64-bit, running as a virtual on Hyper-V. All latest updates and services packs applied.

WDM comes packaged with MS SQL Express 2005 for it's DB. I already have MS SQL Express 2008 installed on this server for another application and would strongly prefer to NOT run both 2008 and 2005. I installed a 2nd instance of MS SQL Express 2008 called WDM. However during install when I attempt to put in the credentials and server, I receiv ethe error "Unable to connect to Database". I am able to connect to the instance using MS SQL 2008 Server Management Studio from a workstation without issue.

I also have an Full MS SQL 2005 server onsite. When I put in the information for that server, the installation takes the info just fine, begins the installation, and then poops itself. The files appear to be created but no DB is created. Of course trying to launch WDM is met with a never ending string of errors.

What am I a missing? Again I would prefer to NOT run both 2008 and 2005 SQL Express on the same server, but the WDM installation doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

Any suggestions?

June 15th, 2015 08:00

Same problem

I am installing on windows server 2008 r2. I tried with no database installed, and i also tried with sql server 2008 express installed. with no database installs, the install of the supplied database fails, and the install fails, with sql server 2008 installed, the install crashes at the end and leaves a broken install.

the guide says 2008 r2 and sql 2008 express are supported, so what gives?

4 Posts

June 16th, 2015 07:00

Server is 2008 R2 64-bit and WDM 4.8.5 uninstall/install.
was doing an uninstall of 4.8.5 as it was NOT picking up any devices on any subnets, so figured I'd uninstall and re-install.
It was doing the uninstall and I went to the restroom and came back and it looks like the server rebooted. checked it out and it did reboot.
so, I tried to install the 4.8.5 again, gets to doing the uninstall again and says the WDM database must be running and that is it, it stops the uninstall at that point.
I stop/started the services and got same, firgured I would uninstall sql and see if that would allow me to go further.... nah, same.
we bought 12 of the Wyse units for testing, to replace close to 500 Neoware units. I have been trying to test with these Wyse units and nothing but issues. getting support is not fast and using the forum for answers doesn't seem to work much ....
any help on this issue with the re-install of WDM?

June 16th, 2015 07:00

Which protocols do you have enabled on your existing server installs?
Looks like the 2005 install packaged with WDM has Shared Memory, Pipes and TCP enabled.

tcp:yourserver\instance,1433

No Events found!