Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2015 08:00

C50LE not applying settings in $MAC.ini

Question C50LE not applying settings in $MAC.ini

C50LE 11.1.053, reset to factory default

I am trying to use $MAC.ini files to configure my C50LEs but the settings in the file do not get applied to the thin client. If I open the "Diagnostics" application, the contents of the $MAC.ini file appears under "wlx.ini/wnos.ini", so the thin clients can definitely read the file. I am confident the INI files are formatted properly because if I rename the $MAC.ini file to "wlx.ini", the settings in the file are applied properly.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2 Posts

I separated our ini files by folder and was able to include them all by including this in our wnos.ini:

Include=$mac.ini
Include=folder1/$mac.ini

folder1 exists under the inc folder.

Looking at the ftp logs, it checks the inc folder first then steps into the subdirectory to find the corresponding mac file.

Let me know if you have any problems.

2 Posts

If the settings are similar to the wnos.ini file, you need to have the last three lines set as the following (basically your mac includes need to be the last thing your ini file contains, as well as the exit all command):

Include=$mac.ini
Include=folder1/$mac.ini
Exit=All

Thank you very much for your reply. Your first post came in while I was posting my reply. I think the settings are supposed to be the similar between the wlx and wnos files, but in this case they are not. I have some V10LEs and reading from both the wnos.ini and $mac.ini and they work perfectly. I use the following setup:

wyse --> wnos.ini
wyse --> inc --> $mac.ini

With the following lines at the bottom of my wnos.ini file:
Include=$mac.ini
Exit=All

I have tried every combination of directories I can think of for the C50LEs, with and without inc, but so far nothing works. It seems like the include parameter does not support directories in the wlx.ini, even though documentation says it does. I contacted support last week, but so far I have not gotten a reply.

I was mistaken. Short version, the first line of the $mac.ini file must be Include=$mac.ini

I thought the thin client read would read in any include statement it found in the $mac.ini file. It will, but only if the first line of the $mac.ini file is Include=$mac.ini. This seems to contradict the documentation which states, "NOTE: Only one level of include is allowed (nesting is not allowed)." Since the opening Include=$mac.ini seems to instruct it to used the rest of the file, which has another include statement.

As far as I can tell, the entire $mac.ini file implementation for the C50LE, and I imagine all of the Wyse enhanced SUSE Linux thin clients, is fubar. One has only to see how simply and easily it works with the ThinOS thin clients, to see how poorly it is implemented on the Wyse enhanced SUSE Linux thin clients.

I found the problem. Looking through the INI Ref Guide, I found a reference to "include=$mac.ini". The documentation states that this line should be added wlx.ini file, to have it include parameters from the $mac.ini. But the documentation also states that "If the thin client locates a $MAC.ini file (it is stored in the same directory as a wlx.ini file), then the wlx.ini file is not accessed." So in cases where the $mac.ini file is the only file being accessed, you have to add "include=$mac.ini" to the beginning of the $mac.ini file.

So now my question is, how do you format the path in the "include" statements, so you can store the $mac.ini in another directory? The documentation defines the include parameter as "Include=path/filename", so it should be possible. I would like to store the $mac.ini files in a subdirectory:
/wyse/wlx/inc/$mac.ini
I have tried:
include=/wyse/wlx/inc/$mac.ini
include=wyse/wlx/inc/$mac.ini
include=/wlx/inc/$mac.ini
include=wlx/inc/$mac.ini
include= /inc/$mac.ini
include= inc/$mac.ini
The file and folder have the same permissions as the /wyse/wlx/wlx.ini file, which reads in fine.
Any ideas?

I have a work around, but it is not pretty. I put the $mac.ini files in the same directory as the wlx.ini file. The first two lines of the $mac.ini files are:
include=wlx.ini
Include=$mac.ini
I found if I put anything before them, even a comment, it does not work. To my mind, this should cause a loop, but it seems to work. If anyone has a better way of doing this, please let post back.

No Events found!