Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 25th, 2015 02:00

Screen saver setting keep resetting on reboot

Screen saver setting keep resetting on reboot

I have a series of Wyse T50 units powering displays throughout the company (not being used by individual users at their desk). I have the screen save set to "disabled" and the power saver also disabled so that the monitors are always displaying the web pages I have configured.

The problem I have is that when the WYSE unit is rebooted, the screen saver and power saver setting are not saved and the unit will go black and then power off based on the default screen and power saver settings.

Does anyone know if this is a bug or if there is a way to change the defaults to disable both screen saver and power saver.

13 Posts

For the *** of it, I threw up our D50D we're testing on, with the latest firmware of 11.2.038, set him up for autologin, using the same INI parameters (but removed the noblank addon), and he shows the same behavior. Blank screen after 10 minutes of inactivity after restart of the terminal. One minor difference: his monitor's light is still green, where as the R50s the LCD light goes amber (same exact LCD), but nonetheless, still blank screens.

I removed the noblank add on because I am ASSUMING by now, the fix would be built into the firmware.

It would appear, assuming our INI and Addons are all correct, this issue has followed models/firmwares.

Are you sure those setting are getting reset, or do you assume they are because the screen is going blank? The basics, if you are using a FTP server with INI files to configure your units, have you added the following lines to you INIs?
Screensaver=0
PowerManager=0,0

Moving on, you may be having the same issue I did with C50LEs, which I used as displays. I figured out that if left completely idle after power on, the screen would go blank after about 10 minutes, regardless of power and screensaver settings. However, if I interacted with it after a reboot, either locally or with remote shadow (just hit some keys, move the mouse, etc), the screen wouldn't go blank if the unit was then left idle indefinitely. After going back and forth with tech support from 7/11 to 4/12, they sent me an addon, xset_no_blank-1-0.sletc11sp1.rpm, which fixed the problem. Best of luck.

On a side note, that was just one of many issues I had with Wyse Enhanced SUSE Linux thin clients used as displays. Two months ago I purchased conversion kits to move them all to ThinOS, and have not had a problem with them since. Just my experience, but Wyse Enhanced SUSE Linux thin clients to not do well without occasion interactions and periodic reboots.

13 Posts

I know this is a quite old thread, but, I am still seeing the issue detailed here and I'm not sure why.

We have an environment with about 300 R50s. Some of these are autologin devices, where, upon terminal startup/restart, they immediately launch a view session and connect to their appropriate VM. If the user doesn't interact with the mouse at all for the first 10 minutes it is up, the terminal will go idle and blank the screen. If they move the mouse after that, or even before it, it NEVER goes blank. Until the next restart of course. The VM on the other end is running normally. I've verified this by VNCing into the VM and watching it when the terminal goes idle.

We were provided the xset_no_blank-1-0.sletc11sp1.rpm, and I do see it enabled in our AddOn Manager on the suse side (along with other working verified addons like the new View client and the mixed envionment imaging addon). We still see the issue.

We are on the latest R50 firmware, and we also have specified in the wlx.ini screensaver=0 (I've taken that out for testing, either way the issue remains) and powermanager=0,0. Is their anything else we should be trying? I have discussed this some with Wyse. They mentioned this addon, but, they also stated a CIR is still open about this issue.

Our wlx.ini:

;************************************************* ************
;* General 1 *

FirmwareServer=xxxxxxxxxxx
FirmwareUserName=xxxxxxxxxx
FirmwarePassword=xxxxxxxxxx
UPGRADE.IMAGE_ROOTPATH=/wyse_mixed/$PLATFORM/
Rapportserver=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Update.Mode=Both
PowerButtonAction=reboot
Update.Preserve_changes=yes
Privilege=None
Autopower=yes
Autosignoff=yes
Shutdowncounter=5
IniFileSource=cache

;* General 2 *

; When using a pre-SLEDTC11 SP1 firmware use Keyboard= instead of Keyboard.layouts=

Keyboard.layouts=us
MouseSpeed=1
EnableBanner=yes BannerMsg=xxxxxxxxxxx
AudioVolume=100
NewAddons=dhclient_hostname-1-0.sletc11sp1.rpm,xset_no_blank-1-0.sletc11sp1.rpm,mixed_env_upgrade-1.0.0-01.00.sletc11sp1.rpm,vmware_viewclient-2.0.0-1049726.00.02.sletc11sp1.rpm

;* General 3 *

ImportCerts=yes
Certs=xxxxxxxx.p7b;xxxxxxx.p7b

;* Display *

Desktop=xxxxxxxxx_logo.bmp Layout=Stretch
DesktopColorDepth=24
PowerManager=0,0

;* Time *

Timeserver=xxxxxxxxxx
Timeformat="24-hour format"
TimeZone="US/Eastern" ManualOverride=1

;* Network *

DisableVNC=no
VncPasswd=xxxxxxxxxx
VNCAuthTypes=vnc
VncPrompt=yes
Autologin=yes
Defaultuser=guest
ChangeAdminPassword=xxxxxxxxxx

;* VIEW *

;-------------------------------------------------------------
;- View Session 1 -
;- Each line but the last must end with a ' \' -
;-------------------------------------------------------------

CONNECT=VMWARE_VIEWCLIENT \
Description="View Client" \
Host=xxxxxxxx \
DomainName=xxxxxxxx \
Autoconnect=yes \
Fullscreen=yes \
Interactive=no \
DisableMenuBar=yes \
DesktopSize=fullscreen \
Reconnect=yes \
ReconnectSeconds=3 \
Username=xxxxxxxx \
Password=xxxxxxxx \
SecureMode=warnbefore \
LocalCopy=no

May 25th, 2015 03:00

I figured out that if left completely idle after power on.

The new Indian Summer babydoll nightwear is definitely the perfect pick.

13 Posts

My teammate had a good suggestion. We're testing/live with 19" LCDs from HP, connected to the terminal via a VGA cable with DVI adapter (that comes with the terminals). He's wondering what happens if we go straight through with DVI, so, I'm going to grab another monitor with this capability and see what we get.

Update: a 22" HP LCD with a straight through DVI-D cable produced the same results. Going to try a monitor from a different manufacturer, since we've now tried 4 HP LCD models with no luck. Grasping at straws now.

Update 2: used a Samsung LCD, same exact issue.

13 Posts

and now some new testing has thrown me off.

I made one of my R50s NOT autologin, simply sit at his view login, and sure enough after 10 minutes, he went idle. This would seem to prove it's not View/VM related, but strictly terminal.

I am wondering if it's monitor related? I've tested on an HP LE1911 and HP L1910, same symptoms. Trying to get my hands on another, random LCD.

No Events found!