Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SL

July 28th, 2015 23:00

DNS issue? "Could cot connect to server" over VPN

Thumbs up DNS issue? "Could cot connect to server" over VPN

I am able to connect to my desktop at work when entering the IP address, but not when entering the DNS host name, in the Host address field in the manual connection form. Of course, I never know what the IP address will be on a given day when remote so really need to figure out the problem.

For Host Address and Domain I have tried:

ip address, blank Domain - works

ip address, "domain.com" - works

"hostname", blank Domain - displays "Connecting" for a while followed by "Could not connect to the server"

"hostname", "domain.com" - displays "Connecting" for a while followed by "Could not connect to the server"

"hostname.domain.com", blank Domain - immediately displays "Could not connect to the server"

"hostname.domain.com", "domain.com" - immediately displays "Could not connect to the server"

So I am guessing it needs to be one of the following since these at least try to connect:

"hostname", blank Domain - displays "Connecting" for a while followed by "Could not connect to the server"

"hostname", "domain.com" - displays "Connecting" for a while followed by "Could not connect to the server"

1.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 21:00

Does your server require VPN to access outside of your work network? If so, you will need to establish VPN connectivity, then use PocketCloud to connect.

Have you ever been able to access this server outside of your works network? If so, have it ever worked using PocketCloud?

Have you tried using auto-discovery with the companion software installed on the server?

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

1.3K Posts

August 10th, 2015 04:00

After getting more information from you and running it by our engineers, they have let me know that we only support IP address connections over VPN. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

August 10th, 2015 04:00

Yes it does and the VPN is running fine on the tablet, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to connect to the remote desktop via the IP address. I can access the desktop ok from my home desktop. The procedure for that is to simply fire up the VPN client, establish the connection, then fire up remote desktop under Windows 8 and connect via the work desktop's DNS name. That all works just fine. Installing companion software is not an option. It's ALMOST there. As I said, I can connect to the desktop from the tablet ok if I use the desktop's IP address, but I can't connect if I use the desktop's DNS name ( the one used in our intranet ). This is why I suspect that either PocketCloud or the VPN is not resolving DNS. Not sure how to check the VPN client. It's AnyConnect.DNS 

No Events found!