paul g-2015
1 Nickel

Keyboard no show

Keyboard no show

The keyboard does not show when manually selected. The 5 top buttons appear (Function keys,Ctrl, etc) but no keyboard.

Tried also with RDP companion on Server 2003 machine - no auto pop. Screen clicks and sounds all seem to work as they should.

Viewsonic 7 running Android 2.2 with Pocketcloud 1.2.165

Any help pls?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Aika-2015
1 Copper

RE: Keyboard no show

I'm experiencing the exactly same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Note.

The Galaxy Note is brand new and I just installed Smart Keyboard Pro and
Pocket Cloud Pro. But the Keyboard won't appear only the 5 top buttons. 
If I disable Smart Keyboard Pro and use the standard Samsung Keyboard,
the keyboard appears at the first try but when I rotate the device the keyboard
disappears and never appears again. 
The same combination worked fine on my previous Galaxy S.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Quote Originally Posted by paul g View Post

The keyboard does not show when manually selected. The 5 top buttons appear (Function keys,Ctrl, etc) but no keyboard. 

Tried also with RDP companion on Server 2003 machine - no auto pop. Screen clicks and sounds all seem to work as they should. 

Viewsonic 7 running Android 2.2 with Pocketcloud 1.2.165 

Any help pls?

Do you have any 3rd party keyboards or external keyboards installed? Are you experiencing the same issue while connected via VNC? Have you tried using the PocketCloud Companion for an automatic connection? 

Quote Originally Posted by Aika View Post
I'm experiencing the exactly same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Note.

The Galaxy Note is brand new and I just installed Smart Keyboard Pro and
Pocket Cloud Pro. But the Keyboard won't appear only the 5 top buttons. 
If I disable Smart Keyboard Pro and use the standard Samsung Keyboard,
the keyboard appears at the first try but when I rotate the device the keyboard
disappears and never appears again. 
The same combination worked fine on my previous Galaxy S.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

If you launch the application with the standard Android keyboard enabled, does it still not show if the device is rotated? And does it disappear with the keyboard displayed when you rotate it or is the keyboard hidden when it is rotated and when you try to show it again it does not show? What operating system / version are you connecting to (Windows or Mac, Vista, XP, 7, etc)?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Aika-2015
1 Copper

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

If you launch the application with the standard Android keyboard enabled, does it still not show if the device is rotated? And does it disappear with the keyboard displayed when you rotate it or is the keyboard hidden when it is rotated and when you try to show it again it does not show? What operating system / version are you connecting to (Windows or Mac, Vista, XP, 7, etc)?
I didn't do the enough experience with the standard keyboard last time since I was more concerned about the Smart Keyboard Pro. Anyway here is the exact symptom.

With the standard keyboard, it shows when in Landscape mode but if I turn it to Portrait mode the keyboard disappears (only top 5 keys remain). If I turn it again the keyboard appears again.
If I start in Portrait mode and press the Keyboard icon, the keyboard won't appear (only top 5 keys appear) but when I turn it to Landscape mode the keyboard appears again. And of course it disappears if I turn it again.

With the Smart Keyboard Pro the keyboard never appears regardless of the direction. 

I use two systems, one is Windows 7 64 bit the other is Windows 7 32 bit both system shows the same symptom.

I just made a new discovery. In the Portrait mode when I push the keyboard icon only the top 5 keys will appear. But in this state, if I put the Galaxy Note in sleep mode (either by pressing the power button or automatic screen timeout) and then wake it up, the keyboard appears. This trick also works for the Smart Keyboard Pro in Portrait mode though not in Landscape mode. The phone always wakes up in Portrait mode and even if the keyboard is showing, it disappears when I rotate it to Landscape mode. With the standard keyboard, since it is already working in Landscape mode, the keyboard remains when I rotate it to Landscape mode, but it disappears again when I turn it back to Portrait mode. 

Thank you for the help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Thanks for all of the additional information and I am sorry you are still having trouble. I am going to look into this further, but it is sounding like the issues you guys are having may be a device specific. Unfortunately the engineering team cannot get their hands on all devices when they first come out, but it is possible this could be resolved in a future release. For now, it sounds as though you have somewhat of a work around. Sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing in the meantime.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
paul g-2015
1 Nickel

The Viewpad is using the Touchpal keyboard v 1.0.2071 (Cootek) - only one installed. No external KB. It is set for English, Full QWERTY and all other options disabled.

Sorry I dont use VNC so cannot answer that. I need to get this working with RDP to monitor servers and workstations across 4 sites. 

Yes, as I said, it is the same with your Companion installed on Server 2003 machine ie no KB appears at all. Only differnce is the 5 top buttons pop when you enter a text field - but no KB. 😞 Just reinstalled this - no change.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
paul g-2015
1 Nickel

OK thx. 

NB. I dont have any workaround. I cannot type into it - period   

I presume there is no point in me buying the Pro version? It will be the same? (on this hardware - if that is the issue)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

paul g, sorry you are still having trouble with your device. Unfortunately upgrading to the Pro version should not make any difference. I think you may be in the same situation as Aika in that your device is just not fully supported at this time.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Aika-2015
1 Copper

Ok I understand especially considering the fact that the Galaxy Note has just been released.
And since I do have a walkaround, I'll just wait until it gets fixed.

Thank you for the help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
panol
1 Nickel

Similar problem with HTC Desire HD phone. I do not see Android keyboard (virtual). I do not have external keyboard. I get to the windows log-in screen (to enter username and password). Since I am not a magician I can not enter them (in the settings I have "keyboard AUTO-ACTIVATE" option ON selected). I have Windows Companion on my Desktop.
Should I expect to see virtual keyboard at this stage? (when seeing uname and password for my windows)? I am relatively new user of the phone. Any clues / hints / advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks, Lech

Tags (2)
0 Kudos