Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

July 29th, 2015 01:00

Keyboard not working when connecting via rdp to run guest os's in virtualbox on win7

Thumbs down Keyboard not working when connecting via rdp to run guest os's in virtualbox on win7

Hi, guys. I was, at first, really impressed with PocketCloud, however I’m having a problem with it that makes it, for the most part, unusable for me. I downloaded the most current version of the PocketCloud free edition this morning ( 1/22 ) onto my Galaxy Note 10.1, and am testing it for use as an RDP client to my Windows 7 Ultimate computer. I run Oracle VirtualBox on the Windows 7 machine. When I connect to the Windows 7 machine using a normal Windows RDP client ( windows 7 home premium ), I experience no issues at all when interacting with guest OS’s running in VirtualBox on the server. However, when I connect to the server using PocketCloud from the Samsung 10.1, and open a VirtualBox window which contains a running virtual machine, the keyboard input is misinterpreted in several cases. This happens regardless of whether I’m running a graphical guest OS, such as Fedora 17 KDE, or a system without a graphical interface, such as Centos 6.3 minimal base installation. When interacting with any text based program, whether using either the software based on-screen keyboard, or an external bluetooth keyboard, several of the keys are not interpreted correctly in the guest system. They appear to be incorrectly interpreted in the same way using either the on-screen keyboard or the bluetooth keyboard. For example when I press the period key I get a ‘c’ on the screen, and when I press the comma, I get a ‘z’ on the screen. Also, none of the upper case characters seem to work, except for the D key which prints a character on the screen other than a D. I think uppercase characters are possibly being sent as control characters, because after playing with it for a while the guest os locked up altogether due to receiving insane key combinations. I was about to buy the pro version of PocketCloud until I noticed this issue. This makes the program mostly unusable for me because running in this configuration is a requirement for my setup. I would like to add, however, that the both the on-screen keyboard and the bluetooth keyboard appear to function correctly when simply interacting with other text based windows applications running on the Windows 7 Ultimate server. I appreciate your attention to this issue, and I would be glad to offer my assistance in its resolution. Thank you... Jeff

I'm not running a remote session within a remote session. I'm merely interacting with the desktop interface presented by virtualbox on the machine I'm using pocketcloud to connect to. My point is that if a normal windows rdp client works in this configuration, yet pocketcloud rdp does not, then pocketcloud rdp client is doing something incorrectly and it should be noted that pocketcloud is not 100% compatible with microsoft terminal services. Additionally, since the level of support I can expect with wyse is that pocketcloud may work... or it may not, then it is unlikely I will be purchasing any products from wyse. Thank you.

Thank you for your help, Josh. Whit.

1.3K Posts

Hello Jeff, my apologies. I just spoke with our engineers and they said they can look into the issue you are experiencing to see if there is anything they can do to help. I have created a bug (PCANDROID-1018) for you so we can better track the issue. If there is anything our engineers need from you, I will be in contact with you.

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

1.3K Posts

Jeff, thanks for all of the information about what you are experiencing. Unfortunately, we do not really support remote sessions within remote sessions like you are describing. If it works, that is good, but again if it does not, unfortunately it is not something that is supported by us. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Josh Maurer

1.3K Posts

July 30th, 2015 07:00

Jeff, VirtualBox has its own RDP implementation called XRDP which runs outside the VM, which we don't support. Are you using XRDP? If you use Microsoft RDP from within the VM, we have verified that that does work as expected, but unfortunately if you are using XRDP this is something we do not support at this time.

If you would like us to support this, please put in a feature request here:
http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/f...ts/entries/new 

Josh Maurer

August 1st, 2015 05:00

No, I am not using xrdp to connect to virtualbox VM's, nor am I using microsoft rdp to connect to VM's running in virtualbox. The only rdp session that I am using is between pocketcloud and a windows 7 ultimate machine on which I am running virtualbox. Then on that desktop I am running virtualbox VM's and interacting with them directly. Thank you.

1.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 21:00

Our engineers have let me know perhaps you should try VRDP (my mistake not XRDP)https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html#idp6172256, not that we officially support it, but you may have better results since it bypasses one layer of visualization.

Josh Maurer

August 10th, 2015 06:00

JumpDesktop works like it should in my environment, so I guess I'll use it instead. I'm still somewhat discouraged that Wyse PocketCloud doesn't work correctly, and Wyse support has expended much more effort side-stepping the issue rather than acknowledging that there is an issue and addressing it. Previously it was my intention to test a few Dell Wyse thin client hardware packages at our school, however I have scrapped those plans and will be searching for a vendor that is more attentive to issues...

August 10th, 2015 06:00

When connecting to VM's using vrdp, neither the on-screen keyboard nor the bluetooth keyboard work at all... Whit

1.3K Posts

August 10th, 2015 20:00

Our apologies for the trouble you are experiencing. Is there any chance you could give us a test account to connect to your enviornment to see if we experience the same problem? This could give our engineers a better idea on what exactly you are working with. Please let me know. If it is possible, send me a private message with the connection details.

Josh Maurer

August 10th, 2015 20:00

Yes, Josh, I can do that. I'm rather busy this afternoon, but hopefully I can do that this evening. I will send you the details via private message ASAP.

1.3K Posts

August 10th, 2015 21:00

Good news. Thanks and I will keep an eye out for your PM. Hopefully we can get this figured out for you.

Josh Maurer

1.3K Posts

Can you please send me a Private Message with your test account details so our engineers can reproduce the issue?

Josh Maurer

Sorry, Josh. My manager advised me that I may not grant any testing access at this time. The following descriptive image of the problem is the best I can do for now...

I am having this same issue. I can replicate it effectively, and if necessary I can provide you with a test account to demonstrate it. It is specifically when typing inside of the VirtualBox VM inside of the windows machine I'm remoted into.

No Events found!