"Session Disconnected" timeout using WAN connection - but not over LAN
I am using PocketCloud on an Android Galaxy S II device with Windows 7 Ultimate. When at home using my local LAN/WIFI connection (192.168.x.x) connection, I can set the phone down and come back several minutes later and continue in my active session.
However, when I connect remotely through a WAN connection (via phone data/Hotspot), if the phone is left inactive for a minute or two and I tap on the screen I will get a "Session Disconnected" message and have to log in again.
Is there a setting in Windows 7 that I can/need to adjust to prevent the disconnect over WAN? There are no "timeout" settings specific to PocketCloud that I have seen.
Hello petes, what version of the PocketCloud application and PocketCloud Companion are you using?
Is there "Session Disconnected" message showing while you are on the login screen or while actively viewing the desktop? If the phone is viewing the login screen, it will disconnect after a few minutes of inactivity.
Also with some mobile devices when the screen is off (sleep mode), the device will shut down processes to conserve battery power. It is possible while using the phones data connection, this process is being shut down.
Please let me know.
I am currently using the "trial" version of PocketCloud to evaluate whether it will work in my situation. I am buying the "PRO" version of the product if this isssue can be resolved since PocketCloud is far superior to anything else out there (i.e 2X Client, LogMeIn) and I want to get the extended resolutions offered by the "PRO" version.
- Connecting via Windows RDP
- Already logged into the Windows Desktop/Session when I get this message
- If I continue within the session without going away (without being inactive for more than a minute or two), I do not get the "Session Disconnected" message
- The phone is not going to sleep as I have the timeout set to 10 minutes and the screen is active when I tap on it and get the "Session Disconnected" popup message
- I do not have this issue when using the same phone/settings when connected via a LAN connection (192.168.x.x) - it is only when connecting via a WAN (phones 4G data connection or when using a Hotspot) and specifying a non-192.168.x.x IP server - that I run into issues
- I have tested on three different Android device - HTC EVO 4G/Samsung Galaxy Touch/Rooted Nook Color - once again, when on a LAN connection, there are no issues; only issues when connection via a WAN configuration
Hope this helps and thanks for the quick reply.
I have the same problem over VPN connection. Session Disconnect when I try to connect. HTC Desire S, Android 2.3.5. 😞
Hello petes, thanks for the additional information and the positive feedback about the product. I am looking into the issue again today.
lulu, thanks for adding the information about your device and connection type you are seeing this with.
Hey guys, from my testing it seems as though the sessions are being disconnected due to the mobile devices network data (3G/4G/Hotspot) losing connection. It could be a problem with your device losing service briefly or even some mobile devices will disable services in order to save battery life. That is why you are seeing this happen while the device is idle, and not while you are actively using it. This is also why you are not losing connection while connected via WiFi.
What mobile carrier are you using (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc)? What kind of signal strength do you have while you are experiencing this? I am curious if you are seeing the same behavior while your mobile is charging? Let me know.