Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2015 03:00

Cannot connect from iPad to VNC laptop across WAN

Cannot connect from iPad to VNC laptop across WAN

Hello,

I have bought the CloudPocket Pro version and installed on an iPad 2.

I have a samsung n150 running Windows 7 Starter. I have installed the Companion and the VNC client.

I have forwarded port 5900 and tested this is now exposed to the world.

I have checked the windows firewall and all looks good.

TightVNC is version 2.0.02

I ***CAN*** connect via the iPad when within the same LAN as the PC.

I ***CANNOT*** connect via 3G/Edge/GPRS. I haven't yet tried a foreign LAN. 

This is what I see when I try and connect across a data sim:
1: I open PocketCloud. The PC is shown as available
2: I click on connect to pc
3: I am asked for the password which I enter
4: The iPad screen shows "loading" and then clears to a blank screen
5: On the PC, the systray VNC icon lights up and the desktop background is removed
6: On the iPad, many seconds later, an error is shown: "Error: VNC Session Disconnected: 01VNC: Hextile Error"

Any idea what's wrong with this? I've run out of things to check.

Thanks,

Tony

July 31st, 2015 23:00

OP here again.

I've got TeamViewer working - looks like a good app and free for non commercial use - that's me. 

But I would like to use pocketcloud as the iPad interface is that bit better with the mouse control - so help here is still required :-).

Tony

544 Posts

July 31st, 2015 23:00

After you connect, try tapping on the blank screen and see what happens. What's the resolution on your desktop?

-Chris

August 3rd, 2015 21:00

Nothing happens when I click on the blank screen. I still get the hextile error. 

My screen res is a modest 32 bit 1024x600 at 60Hz. 

Tony

August 5th, 2015 22:00

I think I'll stick with teamviewer. Bit annoying after spending money on the wyse app. But team viewer is free and works without fault and meets my limited needs. And after understanding the mouse operation is pretty excellent.

925 Posts

August 6th, 2015 20:00

Hi Tony, what is the timeout set to, on the vnc server. Can you please increase it and test. Thanks!

Wyse PocketCloud Team

I have increased to 90 seconds. The hextile error appears before this. And just to be clear, I am trying to connect to a netbook, not a desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Suchitha View Post
Hi Tony as I understand, you are able to connect to same netbook on wifi and not 3g . Correct?

The situation as described in first post remains. I have confirmed the same error via a foreign LAN connection. Still get the hextile error.

925 Posts

Hi Tony as I understand, you are able to connect to same netbook on wifi and not 3g . Correct?

Wyse PocketCloud Team

925 Posts

August 9th, 2015 20:00

Hi tony, Can you please run your vnc server in application mode? which vnc server are you using?

Wyse PocketCloud Team

925 Posts

August 9th, 2015 20:00

Hi Tony, I just saw it as tight vnc. Also make sure loopback connection is enabled on your vnc server settings.

Wyse PocketCloud Team

No Events found!