Highlighted
sylfer
1 Copper

Could not connect to server

Could not connect to server

I'm running UltraVNC on my home computer, and have set up a DNS name through noip.org to be able to reach it from the outside. I have set up port forwarding on my router. I have a WiFi-only iPad2.

I can connect to my computer(via its noip.org URL) via PocketCloud for Android (the free version) from my LG Ally phone via 3G.

I can connect to my computer via PocketCloudPro for iOS from my iPad2 when it's connected to my home wireless network using a local IP directly to my home computer (not using the noip.org URL).

However, I cannot connect via PocketCloudPro for iOS when using the noip.org URL. This occurs whether I try from my home wireless network, or if I try from outside using a WiFi hotspot. I continually receive "Could not connect to server". I know my router's port forwarding is working since I can connect via my LG Ally.

I've checked and re-checked the connection settings, they look OK. Any ideas where else I could look?

Thanks
Lou

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Josh-2015
4 Tellurium

RE: Could not connect to server

So you can connect fine using your IP address but not using the noip.org hostname? If you download a app like IP Network Scanner or something on your iPad, if you ping the noip.org dns name, does it resolve?

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
sylfer
1 Copper

Hi Josh,

I can connect using the LAN IP assigned by my router while I'm on my home wireless network (192.168.0.10). I can't connect via the noip hostname or by the IP assigned by my ISP (even when on my home network). I did download FreePing and the noip hostname does resolve correctly.

LG Ally on 3G --> noip.org hostname --> OK
LG Ally on 3G --> ISP IP --> OK

iPad on home WiFi --> LAN IP --> OK

iPad on home WiFi --> ISP IP --> NG
iPad on home WiFi --> noip.org hostname --> NG
iPad on outside WiFi hotspot --> noip.org hostname --> NG

0 Kudos
sylfer
1 Copper

So I loaded uVNC Viewer on another computer in my home network and can't connect via the noip.org hostname from there either... so I must have something funky in my setup. The LG Ally still works OK though using the noip.org hostname.

I'll try connecting again from an outside hotspot.

So for now -- sorry for the false alarm !

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Josh-2015
4 Tellurium

No problem and please keep me posted.

Try uninstalling uVNC and try TightVNC (this is the VNC application we install with the companion software). You can download the latest version here:
http://tightvnc.com/download.php

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

0 Kudos