dang-2015
1 Copper

My iPad can only connect to my computer over local WiFi, not 3G

My iPad can only connect to my computer over local WiFi, not 3G

I can connect to my iPad on the local network, using my local IP address, but when I enter the IP address I find at "Whatismyip.net", I can't connect. The error is "could not connect to server".

I am using a Google Apps account, so I had to do the manual setup - I reviewed all the steps, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I had posted this in the wrong forum before, so I'm re-posting here, with the answers to the question the admin on the other forum asked me:

1- What is the version NUMBER of PocketCloud you are using on your mobile device
- Version number 2.2.134, it was the latest version on iTunes, I just downloaded it last week

2- What is the model of the mobile device you are using(e.g. Evo, iPhone, iPhone4, iPad, Xoom)?
- I'm using an iPad 2 running iOS 5.1

3- What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Remote computer (e.g. Lion)
- Snow Leopard

4- What are the exact error messages (if any) that you are getting:
a- on your MOBILE DEVICE?:
- "Could not connect to server"

b- on your REMOTE COMPUTER?:
- There is no error message on the Remote COmputer

5- Have you installed the PocketCloud Windows or Mac Companion on your Remote Computer?
- Yes

6- If yes, what version NUMBER (e.g. 2.3.7, 2.0.22S)?(REQUIRED)
- 2.0.27s

7- Do you have Port-forwarding setup on your router? See Users Guide below for more details
Yes, I set it up according to the manual setup instructions since I'm on a Google Apps account. VNC set to port 5900.

The only thing that I can add is that the ISP in the router setup is the local ISP - it won't allow me to add the "Whatismyisp" address, so - not being a tech person - I'm not 100% sure how the 'external' IP address connects to the internal one.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

-- Dan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: My iPad can only connect to my computer over local WiFi, not 3G

I am a little confused, are you using your google apps account with the Companion software or are you only trying to connect using a manual connection? Or have you attempted both? You can log into the companion using a google apps account. If you use the companion software, it should help you login without doing port forwarding etc.

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dang-2015
1 Copper

I tried with both the manual and automatic login, neither worked unless I was on the local WiFi.

A friend recommended a different product - LogMeIn, which worked perfectly without any of these problems. I liked the WYSE interface better, but unfortunately it just didn't work for me.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Do you have a firewall enabled on your mac and is it possible that PocketCloud is not on the allowed applications list?

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

Tags (2)
0 Kudos