Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 10th, 2015 08:00

Not Working with iOS and Lion

Unhappy Not Working with iOS and Lion

Saw the Pocketcloud presentation at VMWorld and I was eager to try it out when I got back. Unfortunately, not having much luck.

Running Lion and the Pocketcloud companion installed fine. When I installed PC on my iPhone, I was able to log into my gmail account and it auto discovered my Lion PC. When I tried to connect to it, it asked me for my "Mac OS credentials".

Not very clear what this wanted me to type in. Using my OSX login name and password didn't work. It yells at me about VNC authentication.

Typing in my VNC password that I setup in Remote Management / Computer Settings (and leaving the Username blank) worked, however, it showed me the grey Login screen that I get when I first turn on my computer. It shows the little bubbles for my username and any other accounts on the system, however I can't "click" on any of them to actually log in. When I do push the click button, my Lion laptop screen doesn't change but the cursor does this very rapid flash between regular cursor and beachball. Doesn't lock up or anything, just flashes like crazy until I move my physical mouse.

So in summary, it doesn't work for me. I can connect to my computer but can't get past that grey login screen. Not even sure why it's showing me a login screen instead of just showing me the desktop.

Also on the iOS app, the term "Enter your Mac OS credentials" definitely needs further explanation. If the iOS app is smart enough to recognize that it's talking to a Mac and thus will be using VNC, it shouldn't ask me for both a username and password.

August 13th, 2015 09:00

I have a similar issue only I cannot get to the grey log on screen when I enter my Mac user name. I am set up on Lion as a user without a password. If I try and connect using PocketCloud and enter my Mac admin user name and password it does indeed log me in. This is no use to me though as the admin account is used only for updates and system management. 

I have tried various other things when prompted for my Mac Credentials such as leaving my user name blank and only adding the VNC password,adding my user name and the admin password and of course just leaving the password blank.

This has only been an issue with Lion since I updated PocketCloud today. On my iPhone it is still not updated and it let's me enter the VNC password then I get my Mac log on screen and I can click my user name and in it goes.

Any ideas or help?

544 Posts

Hi - Try the new companion build (2.0.7s) which will be posted on our website on Monday. The issue you are describing when using the VNC password is a known problem with Lion, that's why we ask you to use your OS X username & password.

Glad you liked the presentation!

-Chris

157 Posts

Unhappy

Still no luck. Same error as before with the latest update. Couldn't use my OSX login credentials, but my VNC password with a blank username brought me back to the grey screen with the bubbles.

Annoyingly, I hit "log off" with my iphone instead of "disconnect" and yes, it did successfully log me out of my Lion session. So I know it's talking to Lion on some level.

Unfortunately after logging back in, I kept getting this annoying "OSX needs an administrator password to change keychain settings" dialog box, which wouldn't let me type anything into it. I could click the buttons but not actually type anything in the boxes. I had to uninstall Pocket Cloud for this box to go away. I may try to once again re-install Pocketcloud and if this box pops up again, I'll screen shot it.

544 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plochner View Post
After a reinstall, I was able to get it to work. Here's what I did:

Uninstalled Pocket Cloud on Lion.
VNC is enabled in my Sharing preferences. For this example, it uses password 1234
Reinstalled Pocket Cloud, put in my gmail address as before.
Pocket Cloud on Lion told me my username was my full first and last name, and my password was my usual OSX password. This information was not used at all during the connection process, so it was irrelevant that the application told me it.
On my iPhone, first tried to connect to my computer using my full first and last name and password as the application so helpfully recommended, above. Received the VNC authentication error.
On iPhone, erased the username, put in password 1234 (ie my VNC password).
It connected after a few moments, showed me the grey Lion login screen with the bubbles.
I was able to click on my name at this point and then had to log in with my OSX password using the PocketCloud keyboard. I had to use the "Return" key on the PocketCloud keyboard for the password to actually be accepted, however - I couldn't seem to "click" on the little arrow that's part of the OSX GUI's login screen.

So while it worked, ideally I would just have to put in my password and/or username once, and it would let me straight into my desktop. As is now, I have to first configure my Lion to use VNC, then configure that VNC password in the iOS App, and then login using my OSX password every time I connect to Lion.

There is a compatibility issue in OS X Lion when using a VNC password. We strongly recommend using your system username & password to login. To do this:

1) Select "Connection Settings" in PocketCloud.
2) Set "Operating System" to Mac.
3) Enter your username and password and click "Done".

157 Posts

After a reinstall, I was able to get it to work. Here's what I did:

Uninstalled Pocket Cloud on Lion.
VNC is enabled in my Sharing preferences. For this example, it uses password 1234
Reinstalled Pocket Cloud, put in my gmail address as before.
Pocket Cloud on Lion told me my username was my full first and last name, and my password was my usual OSX password. This information was not used at all during the connection process, so it was irrelevant that the application told me it.
On my iPhone, first tried to connect to my computer using my full first and last name and password as the application so helpfully recommended, above. Received the VNC authentication error.
On iPhone, erased the username, put in password 1234 (ie my VNC password).
It connected after a few moments, showed me the grey Lion login screen with the bubbles.
I was able to click on my name at this point and then had to log in with my OSX password using the PocketCloud keyboard. I had to use the "Return" key on the PocketCloud keyboard for the password to actually be accepted, however - I couldn't seem to "click" on the little arrow that's part of the OSX GUI's login screen.

So while it worked, ideally I would just have to put in my password and/or username once, and it would let me straight into my desktop. As is now, I have to first configure my Lion to use VNC, then configure that VNC password in the iOS App, and then login using my OSX password every time I connect to Lion.

No Events found!