Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 30th, 2015 03:00

Windows Companion and multiple ips

Exclamation Windows Companion and multiple ips

I work in an IT department... a co-worker and myself were having issues connecting via the Windows Companion. Our PCs have multiple LAN ip addresses because we access numerous pieces of equipment on different subnets. After monitoring the firewall, it appears that the Wyse software on the PC was using the LOWEST ip (192.168.0.x) instead of the correct ip (192.168.1.x). The gateway is set to a 192.168.1.x ip. Software appears to 'ignore' the gateway address and corresponding ip and just picks the first ip in the list. Removing all the ips resolved the issue, but I suspect just deleting the 0.x ip would have resolved it. This is just an FYI to others having the same issue. Wyse probably should fix this in the next release of the companion software. Otherwise this is pretty awesome stuff.

544 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 00:00

Are you saying that you expect the Companion Application to bind to both 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x IP addresses?

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 00:00

No, I just expect the outbound communications to the Internet to utilize an ip address that can route to the Internet. Not knowing how the application works, I assume there is a connection to 'Wyse' for the auto discover piece (which works fine... Pc shows up as 'on'), and another connection is initiated when the client connects to the pc (which i assume is an outbound port forward to the local rdp/vnc port on the pc). It's the outbound connection which fails to work properly... The firewall 'sees' a connection from an ip address which it doesn't have a LAN interface on, and drops it (because it doesn't have a route to that subnet), causing the connection attempt to fail. I can attempt to replicate the issue and supply some log entries from the firewall showing the connection attempts from the invalid ip address if that would help... It's a rather odd issue.

145 Posts

August 6th, 2015 05:00

I am trying to simulate the problem here in our environment. Can you verify whether below is your environment and problem

1. PC have two network cards connected to two different routers and will have two IP address (192.168.0.xx and 192.168.1.xx)
2. One router is connected to internet and other is not connected to internet.
3. Run pocket cloud companion. In device you will see the machine name lid up.
4. Tap the machine name (rdp or vnc). 
5. Will not successfully connect. 

Wyse PocketCloud Team

3 Posts

August 6th, 2015 05:00

Similar, but not quite the same. I have one network card, and one router. The ip on the computer is static. It's has the following settings:
IP:
192.168.1.109 (this ip should be used for outgoing connections, since it's the only ip with a gateway on the same subnet)
Gateway:
192.168.1.21 (gateway logs show traffic from the 0.12 address, which gets dropped because the gateway doesn't have a route or interface on that ip subnet.)

Same symptoms though, computer lights up, but will not successfully connect.

Thanks.

No Events found!