iPad 1 (4.3) with PocketCloud Pro (cannot connect to server)
I am a new user of Pocket Cloud Pro from a new iPad (4.3). I have run out of ideas on how to correct the recurring "cannot connect to server" message. I have two different Mac OS X machines (10.6) with VNC enabled. The Google account is set up, configured tested using the companion tools okay. I am not sure of the relationship between the Google account and connection on a local network but it tests out okay. Having paid for this software I must say that I am not thrilled by the product at this point. As an IT professional, I am using this as a potential solution to several access issues I have in my environment. Auto discovery "sees" the machines without problem but I have never been able to connect. I'm pretty sure my credentials are solid but still no joy. Has anybody got this product to work?
This problem will be fixed by a new companion update which we can send you tomorrow. In the mean time you can connect by creating a manual connection.
Judging by all of the posts with similar issues, this appears to be a major problem with this product and I have no option but to recommend to my organization and to all others IT peers that this product is not ready for use in a real IT environment. It appears that the support folks have been aware of this issue for some time but have been unable or unwilling to offer any hope that a resolution is forthcoming. Quite disappointing that formerly reliable vendors can, in good conscience, offer a product that is defective in every important respect and charge for it only to then scam their potential customers out of both their money and, perhaps more importantly, the time involved in discovering that the product is worthless. In this case, the time wasted trying to get this high-school software project effort to perform it's most basic function is worth far more than the money spent on this alpha release. I resent wasting valuable cycles testing this exceptionally poor product like the developers should have done prior to release. Last Wyse product I will consider be assured. I've been a user of Wyse products since the mid 80's and it's very disappointing to see a long term player in this industry sink so low as to begin offering product into the market that doesn't perform even it's most basic functions as advertised. Shame on Wyse.
We value your feedback. This issue with Google arose a few days ago and we have been working as quickly as possible to resolve it. It wasn't related to a bug in our product but rather a change in Google's APIs that prevents PocketCloud from establishing a connection. Again, this issue will be resolved with a new companion update very soon. It should also be noted that we do offer a free version of our product that prospective customer can try before purchasing. We are sorry for all the conveniences that this issue has caused you.
I just tried Chris' suggestion and I now have a working (?) connection to a single iMac using a manual connection which suggests a problem with the auto discovery (companion) software which is a major feature of the product and our attempts to make this useful to non-IT people. At least I can begin some of the additional acceptance testing that will be required before this product can be considered for production deployment. I think someone in development at Wyse should burn some late night oil to get a companion revision done real soon.
There is a hint here that problems may have arisen recently, and may be fixed shortly.
I was very disappointed. I downloaded the free version to my iPad a week or two back, and got it working quite quickly, and fairly painlessly with my home iMac and the iMac at work. Yesterday I thought I'd download the paid for version, and, to date, it seems like a complete waste of £8.99 - which is relatively a lot compared with some other apps [e.g Air Video - great App for £1.79 - works quite easily], as I have not been able to connect at all.
I have tried many things to get this to work. If it really is a short lived problem, and if the software works at least as well it did a week or two back, then I will accept that it was "just one of those things". Otherwise I will press for a refund. I have contacted WYSE in the UK about this, but they said that "they don't have much to do with this product", and to "go on the forums"!
I hope it does get fixed - it ought to be reasonable if it can be got back into a working state.
The new build is available at the top of the forum. Thank you for your patience.
Thanks for this. Now got it working and this reply is from my iPad. Bit tricky to use,
but does now work. Will check my other machines later.