A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 29th, 2015 22:00

iPad 3G problem

iPad 3G problem

Hi,

I work for a large IT vendor and we are trialling iPads along with your Pocket Cloud app to see how useable the device is for business use.

However, I can't get any of my configured device connections to work over 3G. If I use wireless, all work perfectly.

To connect I use VMview, VNC and RDP and all have the same result. To connect to these devices, I need to connect over our corporate VPN. Even with 3G, the VPN connects perfectly and I can use our corporate resources like internal web sites along with other internal tools. However, when I try to connect to rennet machine over this VPN, I get a time out error saying the remote machine may not be available. If I kill the VPN, enable WiFi and re-establish the VPN, everything works perfectly.

I was at IPExpo this week and discussed this with Ian Anderson who suggested I post this problem here.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Simon.

544 Posts

August 1st, 2015 05:00

Quote Originally Posted by Landers View Post

Hi. I h ave the some problem of Pokerpimp about 3G problem.
If i use wifi with VPN or without VPN i can connect with no problem, but if i try to connect using 3G, it doesn't work with VPN, and nether without VPN?
Over 3G i cannot connect in no way!
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. I bought this app to' use on 3G... and so it is inuseful for me!

Do you have the PocketCloud Companion application installed?

PORT forwarding is correctly setup, because using a wifi coonection (passing outside my internal network), I reach my Office PC.
So I ask: why on 3G the app doesn't work? You say that PocketCloud Companion is needed only if I go outside network.
Further, you said: "... there's nothing we are doing differently when connecting over WiFi or 3G".
Thank for you answer.

I'm sorryi, I can't install not authorized 3th part software (pocketCloud Companion) on my remote Server, due an internal security policy.

544 Posts

Go here and type in your IP address and port 3389 for RDP or 5900 for VNC. Does it pass or fail?http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

No, is it necessary?
I haven't pocketCloud Companion applicabili installed, and the wifi connection works good!
Must I have it to use the app on 3G?

544 Posts

Yes, you will need the PocketCloud Companion installed in order to use the app outside of your internal network.

-Chris

200 Posts

So you can Connect over the VPN connection but only when you are on WiFi? Is that WiFi outside of your corporate network or inside? This might be a VPN problem since there's nothing we are doing differently when connecting over WiFi or 3G. 

Wyse PocketCloud Team

I don't understand.
When I connect on my remote pc using wifi, I go OUTSIDE of my internal network, because I use my wifi connection linked to my home ADSL, go out on internet, and then I reach my PC in my office (it is link with another ADSL provider).
Just to be' more exact, I use an address like "server.landers.it", not a local address like "192.168.1.5".
In this way, if I use wifi connection from home, I can reach and connect on my Office PC, but if I use 3G connection, I can't!
Please, help me to solve!
TNKS!

P.S. On remote PC, there is a VNC server in waiting (the router is correctly setup, cause with wifi it works)

Unhappy Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post

So you can Connect over the VPN connection but only when you are on WiFi? Is that WiFi outside of your corporate network or inside? This might be a VPN problem since there's nothing we are doing differently when connecting over WiFi or 3G.

Hi. I h ave the some problem of Pokerpimp about 3G problem.
If i use wifi with VPN or without VPN i can connect with no problem, but if i try to connect using 3G, it doesn't work with VPN, and nether without VPN?
Over 3G i cannot connect in no way!
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. I bought this app to' use on 3G... and so it is inuseful for me!

544 Posts

You're options are:
1) Install the PocketCloud Companion.
2) Setup port forwarding. Instructions can be found here: http://www.wyse.com/products/softwar.../faq/index.asp

August 5th, 2015 04:00

Thanks a lot, Mr. Chris!
I SOLVE... Partially!
The problem was the APN name in the SIM setup, my provider had me another APN name and now it works.
Just to' be' extact, Now I can estabilish a normal connection on 3G, but i can't a VPN connection on 3G. I mean that VPN connection doesn't start, while my provider said me that my plane is able to turn on VPN connections.
Any ideas about?

P.S. The por t forwarding was ok also before the APN name changing

623 Posts

Port forwarding allows you to "GET IN" to your network. The port forwarding you need to enable is for your home network. When connecting via Wi-fi, you are still using your network, so port forwarding has no effect. On the other hand, when using 3G, you are going outside of your network and if port forwarding is not setup properly or it's not enabled, you will not be allowed to connect. One way to verify if port forwarding is working correctly, go to your office PC and try to connect to your home PC using your standard RDP client. If you can connect from there, you should be able to connect from PocketCloud. You can also use the same method to verify that you can connect to your office using your home PC. 

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Mr. RMontalvo,
I'd like to' thank you and all your staff about helping me.
As I said in the past thread, I solved only partially my problem, because now I can connect using 3G without problem.
The only thing I cannot do just now is to estabilish a VPN connection, but I think it depends only by my phone carrier (I need to estabilish the VPN before run the app, but VPN doesn't work).
I'll try to' solve this my last inconvenience with my carrier.
Thank you again.
Landers

P.S. For my accuracy, I have updated right now my old review on the app store panel.

No Events found!